• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Taking in sides of Leather Pea coat?

pgoat

Reaction score
I have a Schott leather pea coat, black "Naked cowhide", model 140. I love the basic rugged workmanship and the leather quality. But it has a very boxy, square line look - I prefer the tapered, narrow waisted silhouette of the old WWII USN Kersey pea coats. Assuming I bring the old wool coat and my Schott to a good tailor, is it feasible to get the leather coat to fit like the old ones? Aside from the different fabric, the wool coat has a center vent; the Schott is ventless. I asked (at Wilfred's, a few years ago when having some other work done) and they said this job would be no problem.... anyone have any experience with this, or thoughts? Thanks!

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I can't see why it would be a big deal. They'll just take it in at the side seams. You may want to take it to someone who deals with leather regularly though, since it will be somewhat different than cloth to work with.

pgoat

Reaction score
Thanks

so, would you look for a leather place (cobbler, bag repair, etc) or just a place that does alterations, but hopefully is good with leather?

And if the latter, is that just a word of mouth thing or is there some way to know if they are good?

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I dunno. Probably wouldn't go to a place that mostly deals in bags and shoes, unless you see leather jackets hanging in their 'done' rack. I'd ask a trusted local tailor or leather cleaner type person and go from there.

laphroaig

Reaction score
Leather is very different to sew than cloth. I'd be surprised if just any tailor will have the right equipment to be able to do it.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How many pairs of shoes do you own?

• 1 - 4

Votes: 32 3.8%
  • 5 - 10

Votes: 144 17.1%
  • 11 - 20

Votes: 278 33.1%
  • 21 - 30

Votes: 132 15.7%
  • 31 - 40