Taking in shirts @ the tailor

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by gadorg, Mar 3, 2011.

1. gadorg

gadorg Member

I am going to have my tailor take in a few of my dress shirts (e.g., darts in the back) - do you gents usually wear (or at least bring the pants and put them on) the pants you plan on wearing with the shirts when you see your tailor?

2. Jaggs

Jaggs Senior member

Best way to do it. Provides a good
    measure to match the fits. I do most of mine this way as I'm 6'4" 180.

3. Kslim

Kslim Senior member

No, I usually just wear 'em without tucking them in.

4. NAMOR

NAMOR Senior member

I have had my tailor open the seams on each side and take it in that way. Only downside is that its a bit more expensive compared to darts. Yeah its a good idea to wear your pants...

5. SamPepys

SamPepys Member

I'd bring them, it couldn't hurt.

6. gadorg

gadorg Member

Thanks guys! I am also having him remove the darts on a shirt that was always a bit too snug ( a Bonobos dress shirt). Will removing the darts loosen it up enough or is it a lost cause? The darts don't look all that big, maybe 1/8" at most.

7. phxlawstudent

phxlawstudent Senior member

No harm in bringing them, but what's the point?

8. Frank Davis

Frank Davis Well-Known Member

No harm in bringing them, but what's the point?

If already there isn't any harm in bringing them as you put it, then that is the whole point.

9. Roger Everett

Roger Everett Senior member

I have had my tailor open the seams on each side and take it in that way. Only downside is that its a bit more expensive compared to darts. Yeah its a good idea to wear your pants...

I second that 1000% --- this is what I have done. When I see a shirt thats been darted, I think it looks cheap and like it was alterations done by a butcher. Guys who have the darting done, should never take off their jaacket.

10. ter1413

ter1413 Senior member

No

11. Jermyn

Jermyn Senior member

I second that 1000% --- this is what I have done. When I see a shirt thats been darted, I think it looks cheap and like it was alterations done by a butcher. Guys who have the darting done, should never take off their jaacket.

Having a muscular/ athletic build (17.5" neck, 42" chest, 33" waist)
    I have to have both done. All of my MTM and RTW shirts have darts as well as a pronounced tapering at the seams. My body doesn't taper in a straight line like a triangle but rather cuts in at my mid to lower back.

I never realised people thought that darts looked cheap!
    I guess having a billowing mid and lower back area would look cheaper though.

As to the OP's point, I may be wearing jeans, cords or slacks when visiting the tailor and may wear any of the three when I wear the shirts again. As long as you don't try and get them fitted whilst wearing sweatpants, you should be OK.

12. deadly7

deadly7 Senior member

I have to have both done. All of my MTM and RTW shirts have darts as well as a pronounced tapering at the seams. My body doesn't taper in a straight line like a triangle but rather cuts in at my mid to lower back.

As to the OP's point, I may be wearing jeans, cords or slacks when visiting the tailor and may wear any of the three when I wear the shirts again. As long as you don't try and get them fitted whilst wearing sweatpants, you should be OK.

Only dumb people think darts look cheap. Darts have their place in the world, as does cutting at the seam.

13. phxlawstudent

phxlawstudent Senior member

That's only a 9" drop. I have a 9-10" drop and I'm only 5'6". I don't need darts, maybe your body's different. However, I put forward that darts are unnecessary unless you have an extremely large drop in relation to your height. Ie, if you have bewbs. Women boobs that is. Put another way, only necessary for women and the most extreme male body builder.

14. Jermyn

Jermyn Senior member

We do indeed have quite different bodies.

I'm a good 5" taller than you, hence the problem with bunching at my lower back (my torso is longer).

I have been told to add darts when having shirts MTM as well as by an entirely different tailor to whom I take RTW garments that need altering (the tailor also takes in the seams, as much as possible, whilst maintaining the integrity of the garment).

Personally I prefer the look of darted shirts and I guess that's good seeing as all of my shirts have them!

Looking through this thread, there doesn't seem to be a consensus on this, different people like different styles.

15. ktrp

ktrp Senior member

They do achieve slightly different goals.

In regards to OP, I had some shirts taken in recently, and the tailor untucked the shirt when deciding how much fabric to remove. I tried each one on with pants when I picked them up.