1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Taking in pants

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by demeis, Dec 6, 2004.

1. demeis

demeis Senior member

I'm looking to pick up a suit on ebay and the pants measure 36in waist and i wear a 30-31 give or take. I have heard that you shouldn't take pants in more than 2-3 inches other wise the pockets start to move on you. I was wondering though in the auction listing it says there is an 4 inch allowance. I take it this means it can be let out 4 inches but would this also meant that it can be taken in 4 inches?

thanks
    Nik

2. MilanoStyle

MilanoStyle Senior member

I buy 44R RTW suits. It usually comes with 38-39inch waist. I wear 32-33inch pants. Believe me, I do it all the time. Taking in 4 inches not a problem.

3. hopkins_student

hopkins_student Senior member

It is my understanding you take can pants in quite significantly, but at some point you must start doing it from the sides, rather than from the back center.

4. demeis

demeis Senior member

Thanks for the replies but i keep seeing RTW and i was wondering whats that mean?

thanks
    Nik

5. hopkins_student

hopkins_student Senior member

6. benchan

benchan Senior member

It also depends on the "shape" of your trousers pocket. If it is slanted, it can be taken in more from the side.

7. demeis

demeis Senior member

Ok so another question now does taking it in from the sides cost more?

8. imageWIS

imageWIS Senior member

To answer your question: In almost every cases yes.

In addition: I know that when my tailor trims a size 30 down to a size 28 for me, she takes in the sides and the rear, as well as properly shaping the crotch to allow a perfect-as-possible fit; this is especially true regarding the derrière...as many tailors botch this area up and the pants neither look good nor do they fit as they should.

Jon.