taking in pants

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by seoulfully, Jul 7, 2006.

1. seoulfully

seoulfully Senior member

I'm about to drop the hammer on an ebay auction for a suit, but the pants are a bit large. How much is too much to take in before things get a little screwy? the pants are a 34 waist and I'd need them to be 30-31 waist. (I suppose I could always just totally let myself go, but as this suit is for a beach wedding, I'd rather not [​IMG] )

2. gdl203

gdl203 Affiliate Vendor Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

I'm about to drop the hammer on an ebay auction for a suit, but the pants are a bit large. How much is too much to take in before things get a little screwy? the pants are a 34 waist and I'd need them to be 30-31 waist. (I suppose I could always just totally let myself go, but as this suit is for a beach wedding, I'd rather not [​IMG] )

4 inches is a lot of fabric to take in. Unless it was actually already altered to take out the waist by a couple of inches, I'd say you run the risk of throwing out the balance of the pants (e.g. position of pockets, rise and seat, etc...)

3. seoulfully

seoulfully Senior member

yeah, that's what i was thinking. the seller (reputable seller on ebay) said that the 34 could be taken in to "close to 31" but that didn't sound too convincing to me. 2" was always about what i thought was the max one could tailor a suit. sad bc the suit is nice....

4. NoVaguy

NoVaguy Senior member

what's the suit size? if it was a size 38 to start with, the pants were probably originally a 32 waist, which would make alteration to a 30-31 feasible. the original size of the pants is usually 6 inches below the tagged size of the jacket.

5. seoulfully

seoulfully Senior member

it's a straight 6 drop. so a 40 suit, 34 pants. it's also a regular and i usually wear a long (though regulars aren't too terribly short on me).

6. DNW

DNW Senior member

I had a pair of 32 pants altered to 29.5. The tailor was extremely competent and even took in the two sides in addition to the back. However, it just didn't feel right and I rarely wore those pants. I'd advise against it.

7. Get Smart

Get Smart Don't Crink

You can have the trousers taken from 34 to 32 without any problems, if you dont' mind them being a tad large and wear a belt. I can wear trousers 1" larger than my size without feeling they are too big. If you're closer to a 30 than 31 then you arent ever going to feel completely comfortable in the trousers.