• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Taking in Jacket in Sides vs. Back

davidsj

Reaction score
I have a suit that fits me well in shoulders and chest, but I want more waist suppression to make it look less boxy. Does this mean I should ask my tailor to take it in in the sides or the back, or somewhere else?

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Sides.

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
If you have to tell your tailor where to take it in, he /she must be pretty stupid.

davidsj

Reaction score
Haven't consulted with my tailor yet. Just want to be an informed customer when I do go in.

lee_44106

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Despos
If you have to tell your tailor where to take it in, he /she must be pretty stupid.

+1. Stupid is OK, incompetent is unacceptable.

There are a few seams on a jacket that the tailor can work with. Trick is to remove a bit here and there without throwing off the balance of the jacket. That takes experience. A monkey can be taught to sew or operate a sewing machine. A truly tailor uses his eyes.

a tailor

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
if the excess is equally all around or at the two sides then do the sides.
if it is at the back only then do the back.
if you want to see the options then go to ask andy on search, ask for "mostcommon jacket alterations" scroll down to that title.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
My jackets are usually taken in on the sides, but on few occasions only the back is needed.

plotter

Reaction score
I've always had my jackets taken in on the sides and resulting in incredible balance of the jacket.

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
sometimes the sdie seams need to be opened and you take in the fronts only and sometimes both sides and the center back or just the side or just the center back seam. It is different for each jacket and or individual.

bigbris1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sometimes both center & side has to be taken in depending on what you wish to achieve.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bigbris1
Sometimes both center & side has to be taken in depending on what you wish to achieve.
Yes, with some of my jackets the tailor has taken in all three.

TRINI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Despos
sometimes the sdie seams need to be opened and you take in the fronts only and sometimes both sides and the center back or just the side or just the center back seam. It is different for each jacket and or individual.

Thank you.

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I have a hollow back (so really I only need the back taken in) but when my jackets are taken in from the back it seems to kick/flair out the back vents or split open the single one... any recomendations?

Would taking in from the sides fit the jacket for a hollow/curved back, is it a matter of the original jacket cut?

should I be looking for double, single, or no vents?

thanks

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads