• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Taking in big shirts

pgoat

Reaction score
wow - i went through half my dress shirts last night - the cheaper half (I have about 40-50; I bought about half of them very cheap brands when I first graduated a few years ago and needed a work wardrobe fast - the other half are Brooks Bros, Tyrwhitt, etc, bought here and there over the last few years). Almost all of them are like tents on me.

I eliminated the ones that are not good candidates for the cost of taking in because of age/wear, poor collar choice for my face (I learned the hard way spread collars are NOT for me!), or short sleeve length (I used to buy 34-35s, which were always too long; so many of these are 32-33s - which fit fine in the store but after a few launderings are now too short...I now buy 34" at Brooks, etc).

Of the ones that remain, I understand the sides can be taken in and the armholes raised.

In evaluating the shoulders, would you reject based on the shoulder seams being too wide (in other words, you can see the seams droop off the side of my natural delts to a degree.)?

Oddly enough, many of the shirts I thought fit me well, upon closer inspection look plain awful! The best OTR cut on me so far are the $20 specials (Club room - Macy*s!!
laugh.gif
)

pgoat

Reaction score
Originally Posted by DocHolliday
Yes -- it can be raised. Very easy to do while you're taking in the sides.

I'm assuming they use part of the sleeve to "build" up the lower part of the armhole space?

WhateverYouLike

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm pretty unfamiliar with getting alterations done and the structure of a dress shirt, but this sounds like what I'm looking to get done. Usually, the shoulders and chest fit fine but the sleeves are rather billowy and there is no drop from the chest to the waist. Is this what you guys are talking about? Getting a tighter fit around the arms and a taper going from chest to waist? If so, what do you tell the tailor to do (specifically, please, if anyone is willing to help...it's not going to be pretty if I have to make up words to describe what I want)?

WYL

Mustapha

Reaction score
Originally Posted by WhateverYouLike
I'm pretty unfamiliar with getting alterations done and the structure of a dress shirt, but this sounds like what I'm looking to get done. Usually, the shoulders and chest fit fine but the sleeves are rather billowy and there is no drop from the chest to the waist. Is this what you guys are talking about? Getting a tighter fit around the arms and a taper going from chest to waist? If so, what do you tell the tailor to do (specifically, please, if anyone is willing to help...it's not going to be pretty if I have to make up words to describe what I want)?

WYL

My alterationist makes me stand and raise my arms away from my body. Like that silly pose some of the WAYWNT posters adopt to show the waist suppression on their jackets.

She pinches a bit of shirt every couple inches starting at the hips, then the waist, then the chest, then the armpit, then the sleeve all the way to the cuff. She pins each time. She asks; 'is that too tight?' everytime she pins. Stand naturally. If you belly sticks out, stick it out; else you shirt will be too tight.

pgoat

Reaction score
Originally Posted by DocHolliday
Poor man's Paint illustration:
t-shirt.gif
t-shirt2.gif
t-shirt3.gif

cool - Thanks! - I'm going to print this page out and bring to my tailor - I like the "is that too tight ?"gauge
smile.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Staff online

Forum statistics