• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Taking In An Overcoat

RichmondStyle

Reaction score
My favorite overcoat is a 100% Cashmere Saks Fifth Avenue coat that I've had for several years. I've never had any complaint about the fit until I recently lost about 30 pounds. The shoulders still seem to fit fine (I pretty much just lost belly fat), but it is very baggy through the body.

I have a good tailor, but wonder whether anybody on here has experience with having an overcoat taken in. Is this too risky to do with such a nice coat?

Scrumhalf

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a wool 3/4 length coat that I wear over my suit jacket and I had the sides taken in on it. I don't have anything close to what you have in terms of quality, but I don't see any risk if you have a good tailor.

Viktri

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've had the shoulders taken in and waist taken in significantly. Looked better, got compliments, and still fits the suit under if necessary.

Featured Sponsor

What's your favorite pair of shoes to wear with jeans? (Choose two)

• Boots (Chelsea, Chukkas, Balmorals, etc.)

• Loafers

• Work boots (Red Wing, Wolverine, etc.)

• Monk strap shoes

• Oxford / Derby shoes

• Sneakers

Results are only viewable after voting.