• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Taking Care of Shoes - Shoe Shines?

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I do not really have time to take care of my shoes properly, as I live a really busy lifestyle. I would love to know if those shoe-shiners that charge $5 for a shoe-shine do a decent job. I am thinking the guys at Grand Central or Logan Airport in Boston for example, you know the type.

I have a feeling people will say that it is always better to do it on your own. But given that fact, are the shoeshiners worthwhile? Will they keep my shoes in good shape? Can my shoes at least survive on just this service or will I have to maintain them on my own once in a while? Lastly, if I just go to these guys how often should I go (if I wear the shoes, say, twice a week)? Thanks.

lakewolf

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A quick and decent shoeshine could take you 5 minutes in the morning....

Renault78law

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
they do a decent job, you should go if you're in a pinch. frequency is up to you: go when your shoes need it.

Duveen

Reaction score
I am now afraid of airport shoeshines, thanks to this forum.

Issues include:
* Use lots of water (not always bad)
* Sometimes use questionable polishes
* Can't trust them with the shell cordos that I usually wear on the road

YMMV. I don't think that they are as bad for shoes as, say, most drycleaners are for suits and shirts.

I def would not go too often. Once you do a good shine once, touch-ups are not that painful...

wheelerray

Reaction score
Wouldn't you sit in their chair while they shine them? No reason you couldn't shine them yourself just as quickly, so I don't see any time savings. Even dropping them off somewhere would probably take longer than shining them yourself. I just consider it part of the time it takes to groom in general - shower, shave, brush teeth, shine shoes, etc.

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
back in the day, i used to hate shinging my shoes. but then, those kenneth coles seems to have this perpetual plasticky shine anyways. now, i have learned to enjoy the process. there is something about sitting there, in your own quiet (ventilated) space with a box of shoe cream, wax, conditioners, cleaners, cotton rags and horsehair brush. its like an escape and you're left there, shining your shoes slowly, not missing out the little details, admiring the detailing... i have grown to love my shoes more after i started regularly cleaning, shining and detailing them. its like... zen!
smile.gif

trogdor

Reaction score
If you watch TV for more than 15 minutes a day, then you have time to shine your own shoes; do both at once. The same can be said for ironing, and multi-tasking is a great way to make you feel virtuous.

lakewolf

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by wheelerray
Wouldn't you sit in their chair while they shine them? No reason you couldn't shine them yourself just as quickly, so I don't see any time savings. Even dropping them off somewhere would probably take longer than shining them yourself. I just consider it part of the time it takes to groom in general - shower, shave, brush teeth, shine shoes, etc.

That's it ... by the way when people say you'll "be judged by your shoes" it doesn't refer to the price or quality or design of your shoes, but how do you take care of them, because cleaning your own shoes is something men still do, this gives a hint of how you would take care of other things in your life...

Here in Europe they say "A man is judged by his shoes and hands"... so take some time to cut your nails also !

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lakewolf
Here in Europe they say "A man is judged by his shoes and hands"... so take some time to cut your nails also !

oh great! another thing to keep clean!
sneaky2.gif

new obsession

Reaction score
I spent many years shining boots... It is true that a good patient home shine lasts long and can be easily maintained, but at the same time there is something akin to a foot massage when you have it done while they are on your feet.

One of the most relaxing experiences in my daily life.
blush.gif

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I think getting my shoes shined is a pretty relaxing experience. Now imagine if they had women do it with happy endings...

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jodum5
I think getting my shoes shined is a pretty relaxing experience. Now imagine if they had women do it with happy endings...

this is the best business idea i've heard this year! brilliant!!
nod[1].gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads