• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Taking care of shearling

Michael

Reaction score
Alright so my shearling peacoat came in the mail today, and I was wondering if I need to treat it with anything. Also, I assume it shouldn't get rained on, is that right? Thanks for any help.

Kai

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is the (non-fleece) surface sueded or smooth?

Michael

Reaction score
Erm.  Not sure.  I can't actually open the box until I pay my dad back for it, but bvlin should be able to say.

Kai

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Care will be different depending on whether the suface is sueded or smooth. Smooth is probably a bit easier to clean and care for.

Smooth leather: Connolly and other leather companies make some creams for occasional conditioning of smooth leather surfaces. Once or twice a year is probably enough. Maybe a little more if you wear it all the time. Generally, clean it with nothing but a damp, soft cloth, and then, only if it is noticably dirty.

Suede leather: A bit harder to clean. I've used nubuck leather cleaner made for shoes, followed by a brushing with a stiff brush to bring back the nap of the suede.

Overall, clean leather as little as possible. Although all of my leather items say professionally clean only, I've never yet trusted them to a professional cleaner, and have always done it myself on the rare occasion when cleaning became necessary.

shoefan

Reaction score
I wouldn't worry too much about getting the coat a bit damp; after all, the sheep from which the coat was made probably spent more than a little time in the rain. (Ever been to Scotland, Ireland, Tasmania, or New Zealand?) Seriously, I believe that shearling coats are very different from the typical suede coats which are so sensitive to rain.

If the finish is sueded, you might also treat the coat with a spray to make it more water resistant; when I bought a jacket some number of years ago, the store where I bought it sold something to spray on the jacket (akin to scotchgard, but it was a different product.)

I might also suggest you phone a leather store or two to get their advice. You might try one or more of the following:

Loewe (The Spanish leather company, not the German television manufacturer; store in Manhattan?)
Overland Sheepskin (stores in Yountville/Napa Valley, California and Jackson, Wyoming)
Searle (numerous stores in Manhattan).

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads