• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Taking a year off to travel the world - thoughts, advice and ideas

fashion_newbie

Reaction score
Given the broad group of people this forum often encompasses, I wanted to share my plans for the upcoming year and use it as an avenue to get ideas and advice along the way. After spending three years in finance (IB), I quit my job about two months ago to take a year off before going to graduate school. In this year, I wanted to do something different, something I would likely not get another opportunity to do again and have my last hurrah before I have to come back to the real world! I will be a Kiva Fellow (www.kiva.org) for three months, working in Central Asia from Nov to Feb. After February, I will be meeting up with a friend and spending the next six months or so going through Asia and Europe. Rough itinerary: India, Nepal, Singapore, Indonesia, Malaysia, Thailand, Cambodia, Vietnam, China, quick stop at Ulaan Bataar and then back to China. Then fly out to Europe and spend time in Portugal, Spain, France, Italy, Greece and ideally, I'd like to make a stop at Morocco and Turkey. Obviously, this is not in order. I have grown up in multiple countries and travelled to much of Western Europe and SE Asia. However, growing up, I travelled to big cities and nice hotels. This time around, I'd like to get to know the cities and smaller towns better. I also like to consider myself an adventurous eater and many of the stops in Asia are being driven by their excellent selection of street food. As a result, any food/restaurant tips are also welcome. Finally, I'm not naive, this is not an attempt to 'find myself'. I have the opportunity to take a year-long vacation. The Kiva experience ensures I have some purpose during part of the year and keeps my brain working. Plus, I like what they do and believe, if done right, is a great tool for the developing world. Anyways, long story short, looking for input from people who have either done something similar or have specific suggestions in the cities or countries I will be stopping at. I would also love some practical advice i.e. things not to forget, things definitely not worth carrying, etc. I will keep this thread open and will hopefully be able to use it to ask questions and get input as my trip progresses. 11/15 Update: I am keeping a blog here in an attempt to document the year. If you happen to know anything about the part of the world I am at, I would love to get some thoughts on what not to miss, etc.

pscolari

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by fashion_newbie
Given the broad group of people this forum often encompasses, I wanted to share my plans for the upcoming year and use it as an avenue to get ideas and advice along the way.

After spending three years in finance (IB), I quit my job about two months ago to take a year off before going to graduate school. In this year, I wanted to do something different, something I would likely not get another opportunity to do again and have my last hurrah before I have to come back to the real world!

I will be a Kiva Fellow (www.kiva.org) for three months, working in Central Asia from Nov to Feb. After February, I will be meeting up with a friend and spending the next six months or so going through Asia and Europe.

Rough itinerary: India, Nepal, Singapore, Indonesia, Malaysia, Thailand, Cambodia, Vietnam, China, quick stop at Ulaan Bataar and then back to China. Then fly out to Europe and spend time in Portugal, Spain, France, Italy, Greece and ideally, I'd like to make a stop at Morocco and Turkey. Obviously, this is not in order.

I have grown up in multiple countries and travelled to much of Western Europe and SE Asia. However, growing up, I travelled to big cities and nice hotels. This time around, I'd like to get to know the cities and smaller towns better.

I also like to consider myself an adventurous eater and many of the stops in Asia are being driven by their excellent selection of street food. As a result, any food/restaurant tips are also welcome.

Finally, I'm not naive, this is not an attempt to 'find myself'. I have the opportunity to take a year-long vacation. The Kiva experience ensures I have some purpose during part of the year and keeps my brain working. Plus, I like what they do and believe, if done right, is a great tool for the developing world.

Anyways, long story short, looking for input from people who have either done something similar or have specific suggestions in the cities or countries I will be stopping at. I would also love some practical advice i.e. things not to forget, things definitely not worth carrying, etc.
I will keep this thread open and will hopefully be able to use it to ask questions and get input as my trip progresses.

Cool. Haven't heard much about microfinance in awhile. Are you doing due dilligence for them?

Another New Yorker

Reaction score
In most of the less urban places I hope you have some way of communicating with the locals.

fashion_newbie

Reaction score
Originally Posted by pscolari
Cool. Haven't heard much about microfinance in awhile. Are you doing due dilligence for them?

Helping a microfinance organization scale up and update their internal controls to deal with higher volume, etc.

Originally Posted by Another New Yorker
In most of the less urban places I hope you have some way of communicating with the locals.

Not very concerned. I speak three languages fluently and decent at another two. My friend is also multi-lingual. And generally speaking, I think we will survive in smaller towns with simple gestures, some basic words and common sense. If it is really bad, we'll just leave the next morning and go somewhere else.
Also, when I said I want to go off the beaten path, I will likely still stay in relatively urban places. My goal is to stay away from the Four Seasons, for example.

blackjack

Reaction score
Security gadgets you normally don't find in a travel store are always good. For example, an anti-theft mesh system for your backpack:
1960111567111147antithe.jpg
I like this site Cool Tools which always has a few interesting finds and recommendations: -> Cool Tools on the Road Make sure you get a decent travel insurance policy and make sure to renew it case you decide to extend your trip for any reason. This was in the British tabloids a few weeks ago: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...00-fly-UK.html
It is believed that Mr Moss arrived in Thailand with a valid travel insurance policy, however this expired when he decided to stay longer.

Mr Herbert

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
its probably obvious but my advice would be to spend the time anticipating the trip learning as much as you can about the history and culture of the places you are visiting.

small insignificant things become so much more fascinating when you know the history
smile.gif

im jealous.

Hombre Secreto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mr Herbert
its probably obvious but my advice would be to spend the time anticipating the trip learning as much as you can about the history and culture of the places you are visiting.

small insignificant things become so much more fascinating when you know the history
smile.gif

im jealous.

+1

A year off to travel... don't ******* up, dude. Have a blast.
smile.gif

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Skip Nepal, and try to do Bhutan, Sikkim, or Tibet instead. Sikkim in particular has treks every bit the equal of Nepal's but without all the trash and tourists.

And, have a great time. I'm jealous. Enjoy.

HgaleK

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by blackjack
Security gadgets you normally don't find in a travel store are always good.
For example, an anti-theft mesh system for your backpack:
1960111567111147antithe.jpg

I like this site Cool Tools which always has a few interesting finds and recommendations:

-> Cool Tools on the Road

Make sure you get a decent travel insurance policy and make sure to renew it case you decide to extend your trip for any reason. This was in the British tabloids a few weeks ago:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...00-fly-UK.html

Mine got cut open in Peru by the airport officials
frown.gif

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
good luck on your trip, and hope you could update here and send pics of your travels.

oh, and bring a portable water purification/filtration system.

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
why on earth would he be drinking water? Jesus man, where's your head at?

impolyt_one

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
respek for kiva, not sure if I'd spend a year eating street food though. Make that 3 days, actually.

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Matt

well I don't think there's good beer in ulaan bataar and he can't suck on a yak's **** the whole time.

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by fashion_newbie
Given the broad group of people this forum often encompasses, I wanted to share my plans for the upcoming year and use it as an avenue to get ideas and advice along the way.

After spending three years in finance (IB), I quit my job about two months ago to take a year off before going to graduate school. In this year, I wanted to do something different, something I would likely not get another opportunity to do again and have my last hurrah before I have to come back to the real world!

I will be a Kiva Fellow (www.kiva.org) for three months, working in Central Asia from Nov to Feb. After February, I will be meeting up with a friend and spending the next six months or so going through Asia and Europe.

Rough itinerary: India, Nepal, Singapore, Indonesia, Malaysia, Thailand, Cambodia, Vietnam, China, quick stop at Ulaan Bataar and then back to China. Then fly out to Europe and spend time in Portugal, Spain, France, Italy, Greece and ideally, I'd like to make a stop at Morocco and Turkey. Obviously, this is not in order.

I have grown up in multiple countries and travelled to much of Western Europe and SE Asia. However, growing up, I travelled to big cities and nice hotels. This time around, I'd like to get to know the cities and smaller towns better.

I also like to consider myself an adventurous eater and many of the stops in Asia are being driven by their excellent selection of street food. As a result, any food/restaurant tips are also welcome.

Finally, I'm not naive, this is not an attempt to 'find myself'. I have the opportunity to take a year-long vacation. The Kiva experience ensures I have some purpose during part of the year and keeps my brain working. Plus, I like what they do and believe, if done right, is a great tool for the developing world.

Anyways, long story short, looking for input from people who have either done something similar or have specific suggestions in the cities or countries I will be stopping at. I would also love some practical advice i.e. things not to forget, things definitely not worth carrying, etc.
I will keep this thread open and will hopefully be able to use it to ask questions and get input as my trip progresses.

Kiva is the charity I contribute the most to every year. Fantastic organization, I'm glad you're going.

fashion_newbie

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mr Herbert
smile.gif

It's actually a fair point. Some of my best travel experiences have been ones where I understood the history and significance before getting there. And often, I did not.

Originally Posted by Hombre Secreto
+1

A year off to travel... don't ******* up, dude. Have a blast.
smile.gif

Thanks, definitely will do!

Originally Posted by Douglas
Skip Nepal, and try to do Bhutan, Sikkim, or Tibet instead. Sikkim in particular has treks every bit the equal of Nepal's but without all the trash and tourists.

And, have a great time. I'm jealous. Enjoy.

Interesting. I went to Kathmandu over 10 years ago with the family but remember nothing from the trip. Thought going back could be interesting. I have actually heard a fair amount about Bhutan but apparently it is harder to get in and out of there. Any personal experiences?

Originally Posted by HgaleK
Mine got cut open in Peru by the airport officials
frown.gif

I was about to say it looks cool...

Originally Posted by acidboy
good luck on your trip, and hope you could update here and send pics of your travels.

I will try to keep a blog, maybe similar to PG's blog i.e. primarily pictures but some commentary.

Originally Posted by Matt

Originally Posted by acidboy
well I don't think there's good beer in ulaan bataar and he can't suck on a yak's **** the whole time.

To be fair, I hear Ulaan Bataar is more fun than one might think. Then again, fun might be relative.

Originally Posted by impolyt_one
respek for kiva, not sure if I'd spend a year eating street food though. Make that 3 days, actually.

I'm sure I'll have a mix of it all but I love Asian street food and this would be a good chance to try it out. I'm sure my first aid kit will also come in handy more than a handful of times.

Originally Posted by SField
Kiva is the charity I contribute the most to every year. Fantastic organization, I'm glad you're going.

Thanks. It's a good balance between the capitalist banker in me and my interest in giving back. Some of the people they lend to are nothing short of fascinating. In a more developed economy, they would have had so much more opportunity and success.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads