• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Taking a road trip... what's in Portland?

cmrocks

Reaction score
I'm taking a motorcycle road trip from Vancouver down the Oregon coast and into northern California to hit some roads there then end up finally in San Francisco.

I'm wondering if Portland is worth checking out? My route that I'm planning has me heading down the I5 to Portland before going over to the coast. Is Portland a fun city to hang out in? I'm only 22 so I'd like to go out and party, meet some girls, the usual thing etc.

Any suggestions?

whodini

Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Willsw
Speaking of Portland, how is it for living? I'll be living near the Pearl district, will my New York coffeeshop habit be satisfied?
Definitely. Coffee People is a great local chain that was bought by Dietrich Coffee a few years ago. They still have the best coffee of any chain I've ever tried including being able to order different varieties of espresso. But hands down my favorite place for coffee is World Cup. Conveniently enough, they have in the Pearl: http://www.worldcupcoffee.com/ecotrust.htm

Xericx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by whodini
Definitely. Coffee People is a great local chain that was bought by Dietrich Coffee a few years ago. They still have the best coffee of any chain I've ever tried including being able to order different varieties of espresso.

But hands down my favorite place for coffee is World Cup. Conveniently enough, they have in the Pearl: http://www.worldcupcoffee.com/ecotrust.htm

are there any coffee people's left? I know at the Aeroporte as well as in beaverton, they have a location. other than that, who knows.

Portland is awesome in the summer. Portland is fun to party too. Mainly downtown, pearl and near 2nd and Burnside...lots of bars....

whodini

Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Xericx
are there any coffee people's left? I know at the Aeroporte as well as in beaverton, they have a location. other than that, who knows.

Portland is awesome in the summer. Portland is fun to party too. Mainly downtown, pearl and near 2nd and Burnside...lots of bars....

Oh, wow. I had no idea that they closed my CP over around Pioneer. Damn... Looks like they only have the 5 PDX locations now. Well, as long as I can still order Black Tiger espresso and grab a marionberry pastry while I'm at PDX I guess it isn't so bad. Don't know if you're aware of this but after the original mom and pop sold CP to Dietrich's they opened another coffee place. Don't remember the name offhand other than it being up in NE. Will, let us know what you think about World Cup. I'll try to remember any of my other favorite local coffee places. Make sure you try VooDoo donuts some time. Definitely known for the weird. Also, if you're up around NW 23rd, check out Papa Haydn's for dessert. A bit fancy but well-renowned.

Xericx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
some fun bars/clubs: Solo, Aura, Bettie Ford, McFadden's, Henry's Brewery, Ringlers...mainly all around downtown and the pearl district.

awesome restaurants there too.....lots of microcreweries and the summers are beautiful.

Xericx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Willsw
Speaking of Portland, how is it for living? I'll be living near the Pearl district, will my New York coffeeshop habit be satisfied?

Portland's great...especially if you like outdoorsy stuff like biking and hiking. Public transporte is great as is the basketball team!

jakejake

Reaction score
The Blazers will be fun to watch come next season... I can't wait to see them.

cmrocks

Reaction score
Thanks guys. Is the pearl district within walking distance of downtown?

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
If you like divey arcades check out Ground Control near Chinatown. It's the only place I've been in Portland but it's fun.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads