• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Taking a break from exercise

SirGrotius

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Do you guys ever take a break from running?

I have been running or doing cardiovascular exercises such as swimming 6 - 7 days a week for a few months now and have last a lot of weight. That said, I'm tired. I'm real tired.

Do you ever take a few days off? I'm taking two days in a row and am worried that it'll be hard for me to get back into things. I lost 33 pounds, and don't want to gain ANY of it back.
eh.gif

Lagrangian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes. It won't be hard to head back out on to the track or hit the weights, just keep your diet together and get some rest, no reason why you shouldn't.

Hartmann

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Dude, you're way too paranoid. Take a break.

gort

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sometimes the body needs a break. As long as you aren't pigging out you should be fine. Take a week or two off and keep eating properly, then get back on it.

VaderDave

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Even when I used to run a lot, I never ran more than 4-5 days a week. Especially if you started out heavy, that's a lot of stress on your body. A few days off won't hurt, and it sounds like it would actually be good for you. You need time to let your body repair itself from the stress you inflict on it.

blazingazn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
after 6-8 weeks, many people take a rest week or do very little basic exercise that week.

you will come back to working out much stronger and feel a lot better.
your body needs rest to continue to improve.

scourage

Reaction score
if your worried about it, just go for a walk or something. That way you are not stressing your body, but not sedentary either

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
nope rest is for the dead

TintoTerra

Reaction score
Originally Posted by thekunk07
nope rest is for the dead

True. Also eating right when you're not exercising is, paradoxically, twice as hard.

SirGrotius

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Took a brisk walk with the dog. Brisk because it's freezing outside.

Thanks all for making me feel better. It looks like I have a nice exercise obsession, too!
angry.gif

NewYorkIslander

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SirGrotius
Do you guys ever take a break from running?

I have been running or doing cardiovascular exercises such as swimming 6 - 7 days a week for a few months now and have last a lot of weight. That said, I'm tired. I'm real tired.

Do you ever take a few days off? I'm taking two days in a row and am worried that it'll be hard for me to get back into things. I lost 33 pounds, and don't want to gain ANY of it back.
eh.gif

I used to work out like a maniac, for the exact reasons you point out. Wound up running myself down often. I used to go 2 weeks straight, then one rest day, followed by more of the same. What wound up happening was I was working out and not maximizing my workout...just doing it to do it.

Now, I try and take two days a week off. No gym, no running (although usually hockey would fill in one of those two days). My workouts are so much better now, I feel stronger, am lifting MUCH more, and seeing more gains. However, I have also given up alcohol and 1/2 n 1/2 in my coffee, so that could be it as well. I also walk to and from work (2 and a half miles) each work day.

TRINI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by NewYorkRanger
I also walk to and from work (2 and a half miles) each work day.

Barefoot. In the snow. Uphill. Both ways.

dormouse99

Reaction score
Same situation here. However, not only is my body exhausted from exercising, but my weight has plateaued. Down 60 lbs from October but still have a ways to go.

gort

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TintoTerra
True. Also eating right when you're not exercising is, paradoxically, twice as hard.

QFT.

You end up with more spare time. Additionally, I found that if you have a nice routine going, it is tough to keep eating how you normally did if you change.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads