• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Take a huge risk? Advice?

MrG

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I am not sure really. I have always been raised with the "don't be stupid and be responsible mentality". I guess risk aversion is a part of that. For example my father is very successful, business owner, works hard, took risks and he always says if he could do it all over he would have been a cop in a small town and have been retired a long time ago.

I was raised the same way, and I can tell you that, if someone presented me with an opportunity I liked, I wouldn't hesitate. In fact, one of my medium-term goal is to be self-employed. That doesn't mean I'm just going to take any opportunity that comes along, and it doesn't mean I'm just going to find some way to be an entrepreneur for the sake of it. My plan is to take a measured approach to a major risk, but I'm strongly driven to take that risk. The thing is, that's not what you're presenting here. You seem to be conflating risk aversion and responsibility, and they're two different things. Risk aversion is passing up an opportunity because you're not the type to trade the possibility of a big payoff for stability; responsibility is making sure you set yourself up as well as you possibly can before you take the risk. You're exhibiting more of the former than the latter here.

I think it warrants keeping in mind that there's nothing inherently wrong with risk aversion. You have to do what makes you happy.

jrd617

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Well in honesty the niche market isn't even for me, but I am not one of those "believe in the product" guys, I just want to get paid, son.

If you take this job, never tell your friend/boss this.

Last edited:

Bhowie

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Patrick, I work for a small alcohol company in a small category. My company was founded by 2 former GS bankers. This industry has been a tough transition for them. There are a million new products every year. It is going to take time for you guys to build your brand. Flash in the pan products are few and far between. It takes grinding to get the product there. This is a business built on relationships, loyalty, and trust. I've got a friend that works for a small **** startup brand, I would never work for him. You are going to need a LOT of money. I don't want to use the word bribery, but it takes a lot of side cash to get things going.

That said I took this job because I saw the potential of working for a small "startup" company. I'd say do it. If you have any questions I'd love to talk in PM. I'd love to hear about the category. I'm too small of a fish to steal ideas. :(

There is a lot of money to be made. Pinnacle was just bought for $600 million.

http://www.latimes.com/business/mon...acle-vodka-20120423,0,4541415.story?track=rss

Last edited:

Hampton

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You know if you fail, you will get experience and be a wiser guy. If you don't fail you don't learn.
--

I would take the job if it is as you explained, try it out. Is there no way you can work with your job and the new one at the same time, it's full-time? And even if you quit your job and it didn't go so well and your boss like you, I don't see any problem why you can't work in the same place again ;)

Good luck!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads