• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Tails on polo shirts

Tony_Melb

Reaction score
Hi everybody

I'm a newbie here so apologies if this is a rather amateur question. I love my Ralph Lauren polo shirts and buy the custom fit for its cleaner fit. The only thing I don't like about these shirts is that the tail at the back comes down a long way and in my (completely biased) view looks absolutely ridiculous, especially when viewed from the side (shirt from the front, skirt from the back).

Whenever I buy a custom fit RL polo the first thing I do is take it to the tailors and get them to alter the back so that the lengths are even on both sides. Most of the (non RL) polo shirts I see other people wearing are like this. However, I've noticed the classic fit RL still has some tail, just not quite so much.

So my question is, am I making a fashion faux-pas? Does no tail look silly or is it an acceptable look? Would a slight tail be better? Or is it all subjective?

migo

Reaction score
as I understand it, the tail's there so that it doesn't come untucked when you're riding a horse...I may be wrong

Also, I don't think they're supposed to come down so far...you might be getting the wrong size...they should look rather normal from front and back if you've got the right size

Monkey

Reaction score
From wikipedia.

A polo shirt, originally called a tennis shirt and also known as a golf shirt...

As in Lacoste's original shirt, sometimes a tennis shirt is cut so that the back hangs a few centimeters lower than the front. As noted above, this is called a "tennis tail". The longer cut is designed to keep the shirt tucked into the back of a man's tennis shorts when he is bent over to survey the court.

Tony_Melb

Reaction score
Ah interesting...

So if I never plan on tucking it in should I have both front and back made the same size? Or is having the back a tad longer the current fashion?

The extra length in the back is quite noticeable (probably about 4 inches) in the entire range of RL custom fit polos, or at least the ones here in Australia.

Interesting to note that the current line of Lacoste polo shirts are exactly the same length front and back?

Tony_Melb

Reaction score
Here's my thoughts. The uneven hem on the custom fit RL polos are so that the shirt stays in, according to the RL website.

This assumes the wearer will be tucking the polo shirt in. I prefer to wear mine as most 20-somethings do and leave it untucked.

Having said this, would an even hem be a better fashion choice if the shirt is not going to be tucked in? I'd appreciate others' views on this if you'd be so kind?

dah328

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tony_Melb
Whenever I buy a custom fit RL polo the first thing I do is take it to the tailors and get them to alter...
As an aside, how much do you usually pay for this? I need to get the tails on several polos shortened because while they fit my upper body well, they cover the whole rise of my jeans-- not a good look.

BAB

Reaction score
i wear my RL polos tucked in... that's the idea with the different lengths.

Lone Wolf

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tony_Melb
Here's my thoughts. The uneven hem on the custom fit RL polos are so that the shirt stays in, according to the RL website.

This assumes the wearer will be tucking the polo shirt in. I prefer to wear mine as most 20-somethings do and leave it untucked.

Having said this, would an even hem be a better fashion choice if the shirt is not going to be tucked in? I'd appreciate others' views on this if you'd be so kind?

I wear mine tucked in business casual situations and untucked with jeans. The longer tail has never bothered me. I would assume that if one is going to be "correct", a shirt that is worn untucked should be even in the front, sides, and back.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads