• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Tailorstore Shirt and Tie - Please Advise

furosemide

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I'm kind of a newbie to this whole thing, but have somehow taken my desire to find the perfect fitting shirt as a quest of epic proportions, unfazed by the demands of time and repeated disappointments. Anyway, I've used MyTailor and Best Custom Shirts. So far, Tailorstore has the best fit hands down. However, I think there are a couple things that could be improved.

1) it scrunches up a little in the armpit area (I think the armhole is a tad too big, but I don't think the Tailorstore editor has an option for this - maybe bicep size??)

2) it scrunches up quit a bit in the back at the bottom.

So, how do you guys think I should change my preferences to fix it? I actually don't mind the scrunching at the armpit since it's really minimal, but from the pics, the scrunching in the back seems excessive. Am I just too short? Perhaps the solution is booster shoes.

Also, have you found that their shirts shrink a lot? I chose the option to make the shirt with shrinking in mind. The collar's a bit snug, so if it shrinks, I may not be able to wear it buttoned up.

FYI: I'm also wearing a Tailorstore tie (the Narrow version - 2.5 inches). It's actually REALLY good quality; thick, good heft, not wimpy at all. But do you think it's too slim? I might go with their Medium version next time.

Thanks much folks!!

Bird's One View

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Am I just too short? Perhaps the solution is booster shoes.
Impose your Presence!

The fit of the shirt looks fine. The tie is awful.

Lel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think the shirt looks great already, wash it and see how it shrinks then let us know. Maybe instead of fiddling around with the measurements just contact tailorstore, they seem to have been pretty responsive in the past.

Also, if you don't mind, how exactly did you go about measurements? Did you measure yourself, or a shirt? Did you with with normal or narrow sleeves? Also, what are your measurements compared to the actual measurements on the shirt?

furosemide

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Lel
I think the shirt looks great already, wash it and see how it shrinks then let us know. Maybe instead of fiddling around with the measurements just contact tailorstore, they seem to have been pretty responsive in the past.

Also, if you don't mind, how exactly did you go about measurements? Did you measure yourself, or a shirt? Did you with with normal or narrow sleeves? Also, what are your measurements compared to the actual measurements on the shirt?

Hi Lel,

I had myself measured by my tailor, so I put in the measurements on the site as a body measurement. And I got the narrow sleeves. I'm not sure what the actual measurements of the shirt are since I don't have a measuring tape. But here are my body measurements:

Height: 5' 6"
Weight: 140 lbs.
Neck: 14.5 (probably change to 15)
Chest: 36
Waist: 29
Seat: 38
Back: 18
Arm length: 23.5
Cuff: 7
Biceps: 13.5
Shirt Length: 26

furosemide

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Bird's One View
Impose your Presence!

The fit of the shirt looks fine. The tie is awful.

Is the tie that bad?? I actually like it. You think it's too skinny? Or you just don't like the design?

kngrimm

Reaction score
Hmmm.. I see some good things and some things I wouldn't want.

The shoulders from the back look good... chest/taper looks good...

The armpit/sleeve width/sleeve length looks - bulky? Not sure if that makes sense, but I don't feel like it flows.

You are spending quite a bit of money on something that isn't perfect... just go bespoke. If you really don't want to pay that amount per shirt, then have the cheaper guys copy it. I gotta tell you, though, the fabric is extremely important, so maybe you'll just stay bespoke...

You look young.. build slowly.

furosemide

Reaction score
Originally Posted by kngrimm
Hmmm.. I see some good things and some things I wouldn't want.

The shoulders from the back look good... chest/taper looks good...

The armpit/sleeve width/sleeve length looks - bulky? Not sure if that makes sense, but I don't feel like it flows.

You are spending quite a bit of money on something that isn't perfect... just go bespoke. If you really don't want to pay that amount per shirt, then have the cheaper guys copy it. I gotta tell you, though, the fabric is extremely important, so maybe you'll just stay bespoke...

You look young.. build slowly.

Did the White Blob of Head give away my nubile age?
laugh.gif
I agree with you, if I had the money, I would definitely go bespoke. But that's just it. Balancing quality and value has never been easy. I do intend to go bespoke eventually. But in the meantime, I don't want to just wear off the rack crap. So perhaps I should decrease the bicep size as I had suspected? What do you think, a full inch less, or 1/2 an inch?

Lel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kngrimm
You are spending quite a bit of money on something that isn't perfect... just go bespoke.

Uhmm... tailorstore shirts will run you something like $40. For a guy with a 36 in. chest, most anything RTW will fill like a blouse, especially around his waist. I have no idea what you're talking about.

Bird's One View

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by furosemide
Is the tie that bad?? I actually like it. You think it's too skinny? Or you just don't like the design?
The tie is too narrow. This is a bigger problem with striped ties than with solids and other patterns. The stripe is too similar in scale to the stripe on the shirt. The knot is too wide for the tie. It is possible for ties that narrow to look okay to me, but they can't be striped, the knot must be small, and they should probably be worn with a point collar rather than a spread. In general I prefer a wider tie though.

geepeeone

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Lel
Uhmm... tailorstore shirts will run you something like $40. For a guy with a 36 in. chest, most anything RTW will fill like a blouse, especially around his waist. I have no idea what you're talking about.

This $40.00/shirt mtm's, where exactly, because I'm sooo there!

spectre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The tie is not terrible - it just should be worn with a solid colour shirt or a shirt with a very subtle stripe. Also ditch the windsor knot - it outweighs the width of the tie - use a four in hand or half windsor.

furosemide

Reaction score
Originally Posted by geepeeone
This $40.00/shirt mtm's, where exactly, because I'm sooo there!
Tailorstore.com. Their lowest end shirts are $44 and highest end are $79. It's true the material is not great, but I'd rather have a good fitting affordable shirt than an expensive quality ballooning dress.

furosemide

Reaction score
Originally Posted by spectre
The tie is not terrible - it just should be worn with a solid colour shirt or a shirt with a very subtle stripe. Also ditch the windsor knot - it outweighs the width of the tie - use a four in hand or half windsor.
I clearly need to learn more about tie etiquette!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads