1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Tailors/Retailers in Vancouver

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Michael1981, Oct 10, 2006.

1. Roger

Roger Senior member

thanks for the reply, ill pop in on Barron Lee next time im in that area.
    2 quick questions: please correct me if im wrong, but this statement is the same as "the super 100's are more durable, but less luxurious"

That's pretty close to nailing it, I'd say.

i cant believe that 100s drapes better than 180s? if thats true, i just cant see the need to go over 100's, better wear, better drape.
    Well it is true! The thing people like about the high yarn-number fabrics is their wonderful hand and softness. Super 180s wool is very close to cashmere in that regard. Actually Super 180s is about 14 micron, and a lot of cashmere is actually coarser than that (some commercial cashmere going as much as 17 microns)--although the very best cashmere (like what you might see in a Kiton garment, for example) is finer than that, maybe 12 microns. So the 180s garment is just wonderfully soft and fine, but it really doesn't drape well at all. All that softness just prevents it from dropping and hanging with authority (if that's the word). [​IMG]

2. masqueofhastur

masqueofhastur Senior member

Which thrift stores? I haven't had that much luck.

Winners. I've turned up some generic stuff, new in the $10-$15 range that costs $50-$100 elsewhere. My $10 shirt doesn't have quite so good movement in the shoulders, but I've gotten a nice one I was happy with for $25. Same with pants, I've gotten some nice cords and jeans in the $15-$30 range, although the jeans don't give me that much flexibility which is somewhat annoying. Winners has me not bothering with most of the other stores, I don't see what's great about the clothes that cost $100-$200 compared to the same stuff I find on clearance for 10% of that. I could see paying the $200 mentioned here for a custom pair of pants though, since most pants have a 32 inch inseam and I'd do better with a 30 inch (or raised heels, either way so I don't step on my hem).

Mark's Work Wearhouse also has some good stuff on clearance, has a clean casual look and that's where I shopped when I was in high school. I'd turn up some nice pants in the $20 range there.

Value Village is apparently very good for second hand stuff, I haven't checked it yet, but I think it would be hard to be terribly disappointed on a $5 pair of cords.

BTW, is there a FAQ somewhere for what the numbers mean?