1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Tailors - Lost in Translation?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by NORE, Mar 15, 2011.

1. jamesbond

jamesbond Senior member

I've never heard of a tailor closing the sleeve vents, or 1" inch cuffs. That's crazy!

2. Holdfast

Holdfast Senior member

This thread makes me so relieved to live in a city with a branch of Ede & Ravenscroft to do my alterations. NORE - what a story. You must have been pulling your hair out in frustration. Hope the other tailors do a better job.

3. NORE

NORE Senior member

I've never heard of a tailor closing the sleeve vents, or 1" inch cuffs. That's crazy!

I thought I was the only one! The Korean tailor I took it to wears Polo so maybe that'll be the springboard to earn my business. Hopefully.

This thread makes me so relieved to live in a city with a branch of Ede & Ravenscroft to do my alterations. NORE - what a story. You must have been pulling your hair out in frustration. Hope the other tailors do a better job.

I hope so, too. I really like the suit and got it for a steal, but this fiasco may just put me into retail territory!

4. MBreinin

MBreinin Senior member

I tell my tailor exactly what I want, and I now insist that for the complicated jobs he do it himself. I don't mind his wife or helper doing stuiff like sleeves/cuffs/waists but for jacket alterations, it has to be him. It works best that way.

Mike

5. TonyThe Tailor

TonyThe Tailor Senior member

You realise of course which category this puts you in ... [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Shot at our last year's Oxxford Trunk Show [​IMG]

6. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

7. The Louche

The Louche Senior member

I tell my tailor exactly what I want, and I now insist that for the complicated jobs he do it himself. I don't mind his wife or helper doing stuiff like sleeves/cuffs/waists but for jacket alterations, it has to be him. It works best that way.

Mike

This. Apprentices can destroy even the most mundane jobs. I recently had a jacket come back from an apprentice; he didn't even sew the buttons on correctly, incorrectly placing them so that they didn't line-up with the cuff button holes, and stitching all of the buttons on each respective cuff with one, continuous piece of thread.

8. NORE

NORE Senior member

Good news everyone! I picked up my jacket from the Korean tailor and it is perfect! He redid the sleeves the way they should have been. He even removed the extra fabric the janky tailor used to lengthen the sleeve lining and kept only the original lining! I am overwhelmed and he gets my business from now on until the next such occurrence.

He was $15 more expensive than the other tailor but well worth it. 148th Street & St. Nick for locals.

Thanks!!

9. GBR

GBR Senior member

So I have a bit of a rant (you may recall my thread re faulty tape measures - same shop). Anyway, I recently bought a RL Jerome III suit which came with basted sleeves, shoulders & pant hems. I took it to this alterations tailor (he had previously done some RLPL & PRL pants for me, altering the waist and keeping the split waistband intact so I thought all was well).

I dropped the suit off to have the pants hemmed with cuffs, pant waist taken in 1" and the jacket sleeves let out 1". I got the pants back with the waist perfect, 1" cuffs (I thought the industry standard was 1.75") and the jacket sleeves were fully closed (unvented).

I took the jacket back while wearing another Polo jacket and asked if the sleeves could be fixed to have vented sleeves (don't all suit jackets have vented sleeves??). They told me to come back in an hour. I came back and the jacket sleeves were fully open (like they were when unbasted) but with the buttons attached. To make matters worse, they were uneven.

This was a week or so ago. I took the jacket back today with my Bradford jacket to show the difference. I asked if they could make the jacket sleeves like the Bradford ones. The counter guy got mad and said no and to take it to someone else. I asked for my money back and he said' "OK, but we will rip the sleeves open like they were".

I left both coats on the counter and went outside and called my wife (who was nearby due to a parent/teacher conference) to come by and (in Spanish) let the guy know I wasn't trying to insult him, but just trying to get what I asked for. I asked him to bring a jacket they already had in the shop trying to explain that this is how all jackets are. He said this was from the factory and they couldn't do it.

He gave me $20 back and I took it to the Korean tailor down the street to see what he can do. They needed a translator.

WTF?? Do no alterations tailors speak good English?

Write down in detail precisely what you want if there is any suggestion of language or custom issue.

You really are the author of your own misfortune by not so doing and making assumptions.

10. TRA8324

TRA8324 Senior member

I have had such bad experience with most places that I take clothes to be altered that it makes me want to open up my own shop...cater to the SF type clientele. I feel like I could make a killing.

11. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

Probably not a killing. SF is a very small cross section. You are more likely to get a lot of hate from average people balking at the prices.

12. NORE

NORE Senior member

Write down in detail precisely what you want if there is any suggestion of language or custom issue. You really are the author of your own misfortune by not so doing and making assumptions.
    Yup. Because if you can't speak English you surely can read English [​IMG] I think that would actually be more insulting and I could kiss my garment goodbye. I think the best thing I did in this instance was trust a well tailored coat (stock PRL) to the tailor as an example along with the coat I wished to be fixed. There was a challenge in there somewhere. Try to explain what you want = [​IMG] Show what you want = profit.

13. TWEEEEEDDDDD

TWEEEEEDDDDD Active Member

Im in the chicagoland suburbs and go to a guy in naperville (naperville tailoring), I have referred countless people to him and I always talk to other customers in his shop about how great his work is. I feel that if he knows I appreciate his perfection he will continue to alter my clothes with 100% effort...

I tell him exact widths on leg openings that I want and he puts probably 15 pins in each shirt when hes taking in the sides and darting...

Things always come out perfect (only 2 failures out of 30+ shirt alterations) for $18 you cant beat that!

I just dropped off 6 button downs, a few casual for the weekend a few work/wedding lets see how they turn out I pick them up next wednesday....

What Im getting at is he can take a $80 shirt and make it look MTM...

Im sure ill get flamed for this, once I was at target buying some food and I came across a button down collar relaxed oxford shirt for FIVE DOLLARS, after a trip to the tailor its one of my favorite weekend shirts...