• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Tailors in the VA/TN Tri-Cities area?

tmc

Reaction score
I've been working backwards through this forum in the last two weeks, and I'm now ready to pick up a few new items and have some older clothes altered to better fit me.

The trouble is, I live in Pikeville, Kentucky (the southeastern part of the state, not far from the Virginia border) and that puts me pretty far away from any major metropolitan areas. The nearest place that I imagine might have a decent selection of clothing and, I hope, a good tailor would be the Tri-Cities -- Bristol, Kingsport, and Johnson City. Could anyone recommend a decent place to have alterations made on a couple of suits and a topcoat in that region?

tmc

Reaction score
So -- things are not looking good.

cbj

Reaction score
Well I am up in Knoxville, so no real help here. I would guess Lexington or Charelston would be closer. I thought I had seen mention of a men's shop in Bristol before, but I can't remember the name or where I read it.

tmc

Reaction score
Originally Posted by cbj
Well I am up in Knoxville, so no real help here. I would guess Lexington or Charelston would be closer. I thought I had seen mention of a men's shop in Bristol before, but I can't remember the name or where I read it.
I'll try to find out more about this shop in Bristol. I'd really like to avoid 3-4 hours drive (each way!) to get some alterations made. At least the mountains are beautiful this time of year -- reminds me there are pluses to living here. edit: Could it have been Blakley-Mitchell Co? My searching turned them up on State Street in Bristol.

cbj

Reaction score
I'm not sure if that was the name or not. I did have one other idea on finding a tailor though. I pulled up the dealer directory for Southwick in Tennessee. I see a William King Clothiers listed in Bristol (615) 968-9383 and in Johnson City (423) 929-9339. Either they have a tailor in-house, or they have someone which they use locally. I would give them a call and see which it is. If you let them know that you would like to take at look at what they offer but also have some other items that you need tailoring I would think they would let you know who they use.

tmc

Reaction score
Originally Posted by cbj
I'm not sure if that was the name or not. I did have one other idea on finding a tailor though. I pulled up the dealer directory for Southwick in Tennessee. I see a William King Clothiers listed in Bristol (615) 968-9383 and in Johnson City (423) 929-9339. Either they have a tailor in-house, or they have someone which they use locally. I would give them a call and see which it is. If you let them know that you would like to take at look at what they offer but also have some other items that you need tailoring I would think they would let you know who they use.

Thank you very much - you've gone above and beyond on this one. I'll give them a call in the morning.

tmc

Reaction score
Originally Posted by RichmondStyle
I'm surprised it isn't faster for you to go to Lexington.

It's about an hour and a half to the tri-cities area and a little less than 3 to Lexington. I'm in the southern part of Pike County.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads