• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Tailors in the Middle East

JDixon

Reaction score
Hi All,

I am going to be spending quite a bit of time out in the middle east next year, Bahrain to be exact. In some of the tourist guides, books etc. there seems to be a recurring theme on the subject of the cloth markets and tailors.....anyone have any experiences with middle eastern tailoring?

Cheers.
JD

Stereojeff

Reaction score
Two years ago I had some dress shirts made at Royal Fashion in Dubai. They were delivered a day earlier than promised but were too large in the shoulders. They remade them for the next day (the original delivery date). I am still happy with them.
From memory they were around $60.00 each.

Jeff

dirtyturk

Reaction score
Bahrain is nice but completely vacant. Get on a gulfair or airarabia flight and go to dubai for the weekend. Loads of tailors there. Just type Essentially a little india. They tend to be able to source decent fabrics but have no eye for style/taste. I recommend taking a nice suit that fits you and just asking them to copy it. They'll probably do it in a few days. note: hand stitching in this case may not always be preferable. from timeout: TAILORS IN DUBAI

JDixon

Reaction score
I will be in Dubai at some point too so I well check them out.

Funnily enough I have heard from a couple of sources that taking something in for the tailors to copy is the way to go......unfortunately all my suits thus far are OTR so I haven't got anything that fits me really well to justify taking it in for copying.

JD

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
there is a strip in Manama of tailors, some reasonable fabrics, but no experience with the tailors. I'd actually suggest that your best bet would be to find a good tailor there, become friendly with him and become a good customer. if you are there for a year or more, you could become a very good customer of a tailor. relationship is a big thing

Tez Mulan

Reaction score
Originally Posted by dirtyturk
Bahrain is nice but completely vacant. Get on a gulfair or airarabia flight and go to dubai for the weekend. Loads of tailors there. Just type Essentially a little india. They tend to be able to source decent fabrics but have no eye for style/taste. I recommend taking a nice suit that fits you and just asking them to copy it. They'll probably do it in a few days. note: hand stitching in this case may not always be preferable. from timeout: TAILORS IN DUBAI
I am in Dubai and agree with the Turk...you need to get them to copy something. I had a suit made from a reputable place in Bur Dubai, and there were some probs - lapels too wide, awful lining and there was a strange loop on one of the lapels...when I questioned the tailor - he said "for flower Sir" suit fit and material was fine, but all ruined by second rate styling price £230 GBP conversely I took a beautifully fitting Dunhill suit to Sams Tailor in Kowloon when I went there in the summer, and they put it to one side on account of making some style improvements. Shorter jacker, not so big vents and narrower lapels. So I guess it can work the other way too price £225 GBP

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
London's only a half day away ... by plane.

Tez Mulan

Reaction score
Originally Posted by RSS
London's only a half day away ... by plane.

yes, but you got to be looking at 3-4 times the price, plus air fare!!?

Featured Sponsor

How many pairs of shoes do you own?

• 1 - 4

Votes: 15 3.0%
  • 5 - 10

Votes: 88 17.6%
  • 11 - 20

Votes: 161 32.1%
  • 21 - 30

Votes: 81 16.2%
  • 31 - 40

Votes: 46 9.2%