• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

tailors in seoul korea?

WDTodd

Reaction score
Hi Growiel,

I have used my alterations guy for years and send all my alterations customers to him. The shop is called Jeilsa (제일사) and it's located in Cheongdam-dong. The phone number is 02-515-4505. English is not spoken. The work you described shouldn't be difficult for him unless you have surgeon's cuffs on your jacket. If it's off the rack, though, it probably won't have them, so it'll be a simple alteration.

rando

Reaction score
I moved to Korea last year and brought a bunch of shoes over. I have a pair of shoes that are just too tight (bought online during a sale in the US so could not return). Any idea on how to go about trying to sell them here? That way I can justify buying another pair at Unipair...

curzon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You could list them on auction.co.kr, place them in a consignment shop (there are a few in Apkujung-dong and elsewhere), place an ad in one of the marketplaces of the many expat forums, or create a "cafe" on Naver and post your shoes there - Koreans use Naver more than any other site, it's the national portal. An example of "cafes" is here.

Since Korea is an expensive country that loves its import duties you may be able to fetch a higher price by selling locally, but I think you'll get more views and have a better chance to sell by listing them here, on the other sites, and/or on ebay.

Immanuelrx

Reaction score
Hello all,

I have been reading through this very informative thread and want to ask a few questions. From what I have gathered:

For a good bespoke suit around 1000-2000 USD, Segi Tailor and B&Tailor are the places to go.

For a good custom shirt, Goshe and (again) B&Tailor are the places to go.

I am assuming the above bespoke tailors also make good spots coats, but please let me know suggestions for places that specialize in sports coats.

For bespoke shoes, i have no idea. Suarte? i was just in Busan and saw a Suarte store. They seem ok, but it was a quick glance. Are there local shoemakers on the level of Carmina or Enzo Bonafe? Suggestions would be wonderful. Thanks gents

Claghorn

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Both those brands are carried by Unipair in Sinsa. As far as sport coats, BnT

Immanuelrx

Reaction score
I am aware of Unipair. They are more expensive then ordering outside outside of Korea though. I was wondering about bespoke quality on the level of those types of shoe stores. Thanks for the info on the Sports coats. I will probably be buying a few before my next suit purchase.

syss

Reaction score
What is BnT's pricing for sport coats these days? I'm thinking of trying them out.

Claghorn

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
@Cao Cao is there now and can probably report the most up to date pricing.

Immanuelrx

Reaction score
What is BnT's pricing for sport coats these days? I'm thinking of trying them out.

It seems that Segi and B&Tailor have both upped their starting prices:

Hello.
Thank you for you interst in SEGI bespoke tailor.

The starting price for a two piece suit is 2,000,000KRW, for a jacket is 1,400,000KRW, for a dress shirt is 150,000KRW
It takes 4~5 weeks to make a suit or a jacket include twice intermediate fitting, it takes 2~3weeks to make a shirt.

Best regards

SEGI bespoke tailor

Hi,

Thank you for E-mail.

We have changed our working process and price.

Jacket starts about 1500 USD.

Coat starts about 2100 USD.

Suit starts about 2000 USD.

Thank you so much.

If you have a question, E-mail please.

Best regards
B&TAILOR ( chang jin )

Both are higher than either previously quoted or mentioned. I guess I will look elsewhere or wait until I return to the states. At that price point I might as well have it made in the states unless someone here can tell me something different or special about their suits.

SuprMe

Reaction score
Very very new here. Please forgive me, this will probably be rambley.

We've lived in Seoul for a number of years now my husband has spent far too much money on fast asian suits that do not fit him. He's tall and slim but has slightly broader shoulders and longer arms than the typical asian cut here. We had one suit made in itaewon a few years back (for our wedding) which turned out okay but the more I look at suits the more flaws I see (the name of the tailor escapes me, atm). I can post photos if it would help. He now requires a few new well fitting suits for work.
We both come from blue collar backgrounds. So, there are no family members that we could really go to for guidance and the more I read the more over my head i'm starting to feel.

He only wears suits 3~6 days a month on web TV. But the cast is to young adults so he doesn't want an old guy suit.

From what I can gather, we need:
2~3 fairly classically cut suits in the classic colors (Charcoal gray, Black, Navy)
7~10 shirts
24 ties

Made to Measure seems to fit for our budget and what we realistically need at the moment. I've seen two names thrown around on here most often "Savile Row" and "Han's" I'm wondering if these tailors are still active and if anyone can suggest some keywords to throw around in regards to cut/fabric type/etc.

Edit* I just noticed a post in regards to "Tailorable Blue Label" which listed a 2 piece canvas suit fot 750,000W is this rate still valid? We're looking to pay some where under 900,000W/suite if possible. Quality & a good fit is a must.

In terms of shirts, is it best to go through the same tailor for shirts? Are tailors able to do unusual/bright colors? or is it best to buy well fitting shirts and have them altered?

In terms of ties. I've been looking at importing via. The Tie Bar. They seem to have a great selection and have good reviews in terms of quality.
I figured we'd start with a starter pack similar to what is shown here: http://putthison.com/post/1644340218/mostexerent-great-example-of-what-to-start
and add in 1 solid black, 1 solid charcoal gray, 1 striped black, 1 solid light gray, 1 solid red. Any guidance in this matter would be very well received.

Thanks everyone....

Last edited:

Claghorn

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
What sort of budget do you have (goal, and highest) for each element (suits, ties, shirts)?

SuprMe

Reaction score
Total budget I would prefer to stay under 3M KRW but can stretch to 3.5M if there is a jump in quality.
I figured around 1.5~2M for suits/500K for shirts/200K~300K for ties/any other accessories we may need.

Claghorn

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
You might check out Hans or Savile Row; I do t know much about them, but some people early on in the thread were pretty happy.

I don't know if Tailorable does mtm, but I like their RTW stuff and they use good fabric, so that's an option.

If you are looking to pay 90만원 for a suit, that restricts you a bit. I want to say just get two really good suits from somewhere like BnTailor instead of three alright suits. If you purchase your own fabric (3.5m is enough unless your husband is exceptionally large), you can cut down on costs. There are several good websites from which to purchase fabric--if you decide to go this route, I'll try to recall the one with the best selection and a nice habit of undervaluing the product on customs to duck import fees.

When you get the navy suit, wherever you get it, get it with two patch pockets; this will allow it to double as a blazer.

Shirts, you can probably go so we here in Itaewon. As long as you stick with their standard collar offering, they're all mostly serviceable. Make sure the are 100% cotton. You should be able to come in at around, maybe a bit under 50만원 for shirts

Ties, I want to say again, cut down on quantity in favor of quality. Not that I am suggesting you start spending 90 dollars a tie, but I'd start out trying to find 10 decent ties from eBay at 30 dollars a piece as opposed to 20 dollars on bad ties from Tie Bar.

Check out The Knottery, which at least has decent knit ties that are pretty cheap.

Last edited:

syss

Reaction score
I recommend Tailorable for suits vs Hahn's or Saville Row. The jacket fit, workmanship, and fabric are all significantly better. I went to Hahn's when I was first getting into custom suits but now use Tailorable as my go-to for suits/sportcoats. I have only used Tailorable's custom service (vs Blue Label rtw). Never used Saville Row, but I remember some positive posts here.

Tailorable does shirts as well, but they are a bit pricier (~150). As Claghorn said, Itaewon shops are serviceable; Hamilton is the main one that I know of. I have a couple of shirts from them which are, fine but nothing special.

To summarize: Tailorable for suite, Hamilton or similar for shirts

If you have any specific questions feel free to ask here or in PM and I will try to help.

Claghorn

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
How much does Tailorable MTM run?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads