• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

tailors in seoul korea?

ginlimetonic

Reaction score
Suit Pants that don't go down to the top of the sole/covering shoe laces? Whats the reason for those tight pants??

Who else llikes the "drop" from the broad chest to the slim waist? It definitely makes the suit wrinkle when worn...

Sometimes I think if your bespoke suit is too tight, its no different from buying a size to small off the rack. Unskillful tailor?

But if you're happy, then its good for you.

Anders

Reaction score
I went to Hahn's last October and am very happy with it. I'm no suit connoisseur as the only other suit I've owned was a hand me down (25yo and in IT), but I did a decent amount of research on the forum before getting it made. What I did was bring in pictures of Thick as Thieves suits and told them I wanted something similar. I had 1 measurement and 2 fittings. Normally they do 1 and 1 but I was very picky (as we all are on SF) so they suggested an extra fitting. I think I spent 6-7 hours in the store total. At first they were reluctant to make the suit how I wanted but they finalized realized my vision and it turned out well. Come to think of it I don't think I brought the TaT pictures in until the 1st fitting, so they probably didn't know exactly what I wanted after taking my measurements.

As a side note my parents speak Korean so that made it easier to communicate. One of the guys there speaks/understands decent English, but there is still a barrier considering you want precise details in your suit. I also got slacks and a handful of shirts made there. For slacks I had them copy off another pair I had. I did the same for the shirt, bringing in my favorite fitting Band of Outsiders shirt. All in all everything turned out how I wanted. I'm thinking about getting another suit and maybe some more shirts since the won is so cheap. They keep your measurements on file so you can call from the US and they will make you another garmet. I think they also offered to send some fabric samples, but I'm not 100% sure on that. I recommend Hahn's.

NakedYoga

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sage, you say you've been living in Seoul for 25 years? Do you know of a tailor there named Kim Toni? Would've been around the time that South Korea had the Olympics (1988).

JMZ

Reaction score
An update:

Although I was previously going to go to Hahn's in Itaewon, on the advice of some Korean friends, I visited the tailor in City Hall (literally in one of the City Hall buildings). I'll went in for my first fitting today and will let everyone know how it went.

Price wise, it was pretty cheap, KRW 470k for a 3 piece (inc. vest), 170s. We'll see how it turns out. My expectations are pretty low- just needed a workhorse suit for work, so I'm hoping to be pleasantly surprised.

ryoneo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Did anyone hear any good things about NEW YORK TAILOR in Itaewon? I went to about 8 different tailors yesterday and they seem to have the most knowledge out of the other tailors.

rlp271

Reaction score
Originally Posted by JMZ
An update:

Although I was previously going to go to Hahn's in Itaewon, on the advice of some Korean friends, I visited the tailor in City Hall (literally in one of the City Hall buildings). I'll went in for my first fitting today and will let everyone know how it went.

Price wise, it was pretty cheap, KRW 470k for a 3 piece (inc. vest), 170s. We'll see how it turns out. My expectations are pretty low- just needed a workhorse suit for work, so I'm hoping to be pleasantly surprised.

170s will not be a workhorse suit. You need something in the 100s-110s range. The high number doesn't necessarily belie any sort of quality. It's just there for show outside of a certain range. If you want a suit that will stand up to a lot, you need something a lot less fragile than that.

rlp271

Reaction score
Okay, this thread has been dead for a while, but I want to bring back some questions about Korea, and maybe Sage can answer them. They don't have bespoke shoes here, I know that now, but they do have Lobb and Berlutti, which is nice. What I'm really wondering is where to get quality knitwear without the huge markup. I've been looking for a shawl collar cardigan, and the only ones I find are 100% Cashmere Ralph Lauren versions, or the cheaper half wool half acrylic versions from many different retailers. Is it possible to get made-to-measure knitwear here?

ryoneo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rlp271
Okay, this thread has been dead for a while, but I want to bring back some questions about Korea, and maybe Sage can answer them. They don't have bespoke shoes here, I know that now, but they do have Lobb and Berlutti, which is nice. What I'm really wondering is where to get quality knitwear without the huge markup. I've been looking for a shawl collar cardigan, and the only ones I find are 100% Cashmere Ralph Lauren versions, or the cheaper half wool half acrylic versions from many different retailers. Is it possible to get made-to-measure knitwear here?

There is one in Itaewon.

Lil_Mama

Reaction score
I was recently in Seoul and purchased a couple of suits at a place called Steve's. I since have seem to of lost the business card and need to follow up on my order. It was downtown Seoul. Has anyone heard of this place?

Alias

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Most custom shoes in Korea are in fact total crap. The custom shoemakers cater to the tourists who arrive infatuated with the idea that they can buy luxury goods here on the super-cheap.

Same goes for the tailors around Itaewon, unfortunately. Hahn's is one of the better ones but I've moved onto the one I use at the COEX. Sure, it's twice as much, but the quality is twice as good.

Haven't heard of Steve's.

aeglus

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Alias
Most custom shoes in Korea are in fact total crap. The custom shoemakers cater to the tourists who arrive infatuated with the idea that they can buy luxury goods here on the super-cheap.

Same goes for the tailors around Itaewon, unfortunately. Hahn's is one of the better ones but I've moved onto the one I use at the COEX. Sure, it's twice as much, but the quality is twice as good.

Haven't heard of Steve's.

Definitely agree that almost all the tailors in Itaewon are worthless. Hahn's is one of the only good ones there. I like Savile Row. The owner is nice and fun to shoot **** with too since he's been there since after the Korean war. Shirts done just like I want, and I'm satisfied enough with the suits.

If you ask me you should be using the tailors nearby city hall if you can afford it (like recommended earlier in the thread). All the stuff coming from there is pretty amazing.

I'd love for more info on places to get clothes/shoes in Korea. Honestly I end up just importing shoes. Places like Lansmere are amazing to walk around in, but I can't afford it even on sale.

Alias

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've been on somewhat of an SF hiatus until recently so I just read the rest of the thread. The buying shoes with voucher thing intrigues me, but I seriously don't need any more shoes.

I'll go check out Goshe and Lims. I'm desperate for a decent shirtmaker.

The City Hall tailors sound like they price around the same as the COEX ones. Tailors tend to use the same trimmers and finishers, though, so it's not like there's too much of an apparent quality difference. At that price point it really boils down to style (and how much of the suit's price goes towards paying rent.)

aleeboy

Reaction score
Gents,

Just came back from Korea. While there, I went to a place called Domel. It's on a street that has Seoul's most famour tailors, right next to Lotte Department Store. I got four pairs of pants made. They did an absolutely amazing job. Fit is impeccable and well construcuted. Very smooth. I walked in on Friday night. Fitting on Saturday and flew out Monday.

Sensational. Oh yeah... wouldn't recommend the lower priced Itaewon tailors. FWIW, over on this street you'll find the finest LP and EZ cloths and price tags in line with the quality.

dizzhizz

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Alias
I've been on somewhat of an SF hiatus until recently so I just read the rest of the thread. The buying shoes with voucher thing intrigues me, but I seriously don't need any more shoes.

I'll go check out Goshe and Lims. I'm desperate for a decent shirtmaker.

The City Hall tailors sound like they price around the same as the COEX ones. Tailors tend to use the same trimmers and finishers, though, so it's not like there's too much of an apparent quality difference. At that price point it really boils down to style (and how much of the suit's price goes towards paying rent.)

definitely go check out Goshe for dress shirts. i've tried numerous makers and found Goshe to be one of the better places here in Seoul.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads