Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

tailors in seoul korea?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by HanSoo417, Jul 14, 2008.

1. Idreamofsakura

Idreamofsakura Active Member

Sorry for the late reply .When I was in Dongdaemun I was qouted as the price of the Cheil VIP to be $50 a yard.

2. syss

syss Active Member

I would confirm with your tailor before buying. From my understanding tailors get a good profit margin on fabric, so they may not want to use something provided by the customer. Every tailor in Korea will have Samsung fabric though, frequently as a standard option.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2016

3. Immanuelrx

Immanuelrx Active Member

Good to know. Thank you both for the reply.

4. Immanuelrx

Immanuelrx Active Member

I have started the process of commissioning a suit and blazer through Sartoria Vanni in Gangnam,

http://www.vanni.co.kr/Bespoke/Suit.asp

http://vannibespoke.tumblr.com

They seem to be a pretty good shop and their tumblr makes me think I will get some quality products. I don't know if it was through this thread or another, but I have seen someone post a few suit from them on the SF. Please let me know any experiences you all have had with them and any suggestions. Thanks and I will either post pictures and my experiences with them on this thread or I will start another.

5. Immanuelrx

Immanuelrx Active Member

Recently I went in for the second fitting for the blazer i commissioned at Satoria Vanni. After discussing some changes with the gentlemen at AAAC, I have gone with a couple of changes already noticed in these pictures. Those being more padding in the shoulders and letting the waist out a bit. Here are my fitting pictures:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Feel free to make any additional comments regarding the fit. I tailor already addressed the sleeve length. I will post the finished product when it is ready. So far I have been quite please with this shop and will most likely commission some more items after this one is done. It is looking like a H&S three piece navy suit.

6. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

@Immanuelrx How was your experience at vanni?

I want a navy sportscoat. Something with a different fabric. I know it's winter but I want like fresco or a stubby linen or something.

Had a suit made there a long time ago but shoulders got way too big

7. seoul

seoul New Member

Hi,

an earlier post mentioned Yangs tailor in Itaewon.
    After 2 years and light usage I am disappointed to see the expensive Samsung VIP fabric to fall apart. I had a suit made, with extra pants. When you expect the point of failure to be the side pockets in the pants or the arms - those are spotless. Where it it failing is the back of the left shoulder (not along a seam and cannot be associated with weight/muscle gain). The fabric is thinning and breaking. A very unusual spot, pointing to fabric quality issues. I am left to suspect that the fabric was not to the price level I was promised.
    On a different note a friend of mine had shirts tailored a few months back, for durability and flexibility their fabric had to have a plastic component. To this day I dont understand why this fabric came at the same price as 100% high thread cotton. As mentioned here, the profit seems to be in the fabric. You need to do your homework on what is best for you before you run to a tailor and compare offers.

Good luck!

8. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

I don't know much about fabrics but could it be that the fabric was nice enough to be somewhat fragile? I feel like the Samsung fabrics tend to be pretty good value but with a huge range in price/value

I'm thinking a cashmere jacket for fall/winter

Last edited: Dec 22, 2016

9. Immanuelrx

Immanuelrx Active Member

My experience at Vanni has been wonderful. Here are the items I have had made so far.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

So far I have the polo coat, the navy suit, and the navy blazer made at their shop. Next up is a charcoal or some shade of grey suit with VBC fabric.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2016

10. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

do you know if they have their own cutters?

11. Immanuelrx

Immanuelrx Active Member

They do. They do not outsource.