tailors in seoul korea?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by HanSoo417, Jul 14, 2008.

1. Idreamofsakura

Idreamofsakura Active Member

Sorry for the late reply .When I was in Dongdaemun I was qouted as the price of the Cheil VIP to be $50 a yard.

2. syss

syss Active Member

I would confirm with your tailor before buying. From my understanding tailors get a good profit margin on fabric, so they may not want to use something provided by the customer. Every tailor in Korea will have Samsung fabric though, frequently as a standard option.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2016
  3. Immanuelrx

Immanuelrx Active Member

Good to know. Thank you both for the reply.

4. Immanuelrx

Immanuelrx Active Member

I have started the process of commissioning a suit and blazer through Sartoria Vanni in Gangnam,

http://www.vanni.co.kr/Bespoke/Suit.asp

http://vannibespoke.tumblr.com

They seem to be a pretty good shop and their tumblr makes me think I will get some quality products. I don't know if it was through this thread or another, but I have seen someone post a few suit from them on the SF. Please let me know any experiences you all have had with them and any suggestions. Thanks and I will either post pictures and my experiences with them on this thread or I will start another.

5. Immanuelrx

Immanuelrx Active Member

Recently I went in for the second fitting for the blazer i commissioned at Satoria Vanni. After discussing some changes with the gentlemen at AAAC, I have gone with a couple of changes already noticed in these pictures. Those being more padding in the shoulders and letting the waist out a bit. Here are my fitting pictures:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Feel free to make any additional comments regarding the fit. I tailor already addressed the sleeve length. I will post the finished product when it is ready. So far I have been quite please with this shop and will most likely commission some more items after this one is done. It is looking like a H&S three piece navy suit.

6. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

@Immanuelrx How was your experience at vanni?

I want a navy sportscoat. Something with a different fabric. I know it's winter but I want like fresco or a stubby linen or something.

Had a suit made there a long time ago but shoulders got way too big

7. seoul

seoul New Member

Hi,

an earlier post mentioned Yangs tailor in Itaewon.
    After 2 years and light usage I am disappointed to see the expensive Samsung VIP fabric to fall apart. I had a suit made, with extra pants. When you expect the point of failure to be the side pockets in the pants or the arms - those are spotless. Where it it failing is the back of the left shoulder (not along a seam and cannot be associated with weight/muscle gain). The fabric is thinning and breaking. A very unusual spot, pointing to fabric quality issues. I am left to suspect that the fabric was not to the price level I was promised.
    On a different note a friend of mine had shirts tailored a few months back, for durability and flexibility their fabric had to have a plastic component. To this day I dont understand why this fabric came at the same price as 100% high thread cotton. As mentioned here, the profit seems to be in the fabric. You need to do your homework on what is best for you before you run to a tailor and compare offers.

Good luck!

8. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

I don't know much about fabrics but could it be that the fabric was nice enough to be somewhat fragile? I feel like the Samsung fabrics tend to be pretty good value but with a huge range in price/value

I'm thinking a cashmere jacket for fall/winter

Last edited: Dec 22, 2016
  9. Immanuelrx

Immanuelrx Active Member

My experience at Vanni has been wonderful. Here are the items I have had made so far.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

So far I have the polo coat, the navy suit, and the navy blazer made at their shop. Next up is a charcoal or some shade of grey suit with VBC fabric.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2016
  10. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

do you know if they have their own cutters?

11. Immanuelrx

Immanuelrx Active Member

They do. They do not outsource.