tailors in seoul korea?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by HanSoo417, Jul 14, 2008.

1. hypernikes

hypernikes New Member

I like the official list. Is this something we can add on to? There is one more Kumkang I am aware of, just on the intersection of Insadong / Jongro. If I find the address, can I forward it on to you for addition?

Also, have you used Kumkang before? I got a pair of Bruno Magli's there, and it's about time to have them resoled. I am wondering if they will do it through the shop, or if I am better off going to one of the specialty shops in Myeong-dong that repair leather goods. I just don't really trust the small booths on the street to resole my shoes.

That was my own personal list. I have big feet so I only listed the Kumkang stores with Big & Small departments. There are plenty of other Kumkang stores in Seoul though. And of course the list is still in progress. Additions are welcome.

I went to the store in Myeongdong yesterday but I didn't purchase anything.

2. krawlxx

krawlxx Well-Known Member

Got it. I do like the Kumkang shops, but they usually only carry one size of each model. At least, that was my experience with the two pairs I bought there.

When I ask them about getting shoes resoled through their shop I'll report back, just as an FYI for anyone else who might need to go through the same process in the future.

3. Prestwich

Prestwich Active Member

Thanks for the info on Savile Row. Do you know where it has moved to?

4. XKxRome0ox

XKxRome0ox Senior member

I'd like some more info on the department store gift certificate use
    Getting the gc at discount
    Are these discounted gc's negotiated? Or certain places always sell them at a fixed% off?
    Any risk of buying counterfeit gift cert?
    I am probably going to korea in january so maybe I can get my nice pair of dress shoes
    (no more kenneth cole and aldo crap)

5. krawlxx

krawlxx Well-Known Member

Are these discounted gc's negotiated? Or certain places always sell them at a fixed% off?
    I am probably going to korea in january so maybe I can get my nice pair of dress shoes

If you are really looking for a quality pair of shoes, I believe they are generally going to be cheaper to buy in the U.S. If you go to a department store here there is a significant markup. For example, a pair of Crockett & Jones at Shinsegae (a major department store) runs KW838,000 or, at today's exchange rate, about USD725. For the model I looked at, the same price offered abroad seems to be well under USD500.

The one exception to that may be the KumKang shops mentioned previously. In March I paid about USD415 for my Bruno Magli Regettos, in brown, and at that time they weren't even available online. They've just become available at some of the major online retailers, and are listed at USD495. However, the sizes at KumKang are generally limited, and I am not sure they offer gift certificates.

As for buying counterfeit GCs...I've never heard of that, and I've never seen GCs sold anywhere outside the department store, except for officially affiliated shops. As always, use your best judgement. If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is.

In any case, what brand of shoes were you considering?

6. XKxRome0ox

XKxRome0ox Senior member

If you are really looking for a quality pair of shoes, I believe they are generally going to be cheaper to buy in the U.S. If you go to a department store here there is a significant markup. For example, a pair of Crockett & Jones at Shinsegae (a major department store) runs KW838,000 or, at today's exchange rate, about USD725. For the model I looked at, the same price offered abroad seems to be well under USD500.

The one exception to that may be the KumKang shops mentioned previously. In March I paid about USD415 for my Bruno Magli Regettos, in brown, and at that time they weren't even available online. They've just become available at some of the major online retailers, and are listed at USD495. However, the sizes at KumKang are generally limited, and I am not sure they offer gift certificates.

As for buying counterfeit GCs...I've never heard of that, and I've never seen GCs sold anywhere outside the department store, except for officially affiliated shops. As always, use your best judgement. If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is.

In any case, what brand of shoes were you considering?

i don't even know what brand i want yet... i've never spent more than $160 on shoes before
    but looking back at how many pairs of cheap shoes i've bought and thrown out... i am now ready to make a decent shoe purchase

i'm only thinking about buying the shoes in korea because of the information posted in this thread about buying the dept store gift certificates at significant discount

7. XKxRome0ox

XKxRome0ox Senior member

http://www.koreagrandsale.or.kr

not sure if any of the coupons or discounts are actually good or if they just barely balance out the overpriced imported brands
    but at least it's something

8. pvrhye

pvrhye Senior member

I got my suits made at Dynasty Tailors in Itaewon. They're fully canvased (or at least 3 layers of some kind), but the design is a mixed bag. That's partly my fault for being very uneducated at the time and not giving good instruction. The shirts I've gotten I was very pleased with except for the buttons on the last bunch. They don't fasten well. Lesson to be learned: If you don't know what you're doing, bespoke is no better than off-the-rack. The tailor Bruce is a real courteous guy and speaks excellent English. Remembered my face months later after just one visit. I was shocked. I think if I micro-manage a bit next time I'd get exactly what I wanted. EDIT: I'll be damned, there's a website - http://www.dynastytailor.com/

9. xcontext

xcontext Member

Be aware that in Korea you may have harder time finding shoes in Asia if you wear bigger size.

10. XKxRome0ox

XKxRome0ox Senior member

Be aware that in Korea you may have harder time finding shoes in Asia if you wear bigger size.

i wear 9.5-10 regular width so i think i'm fine
    but i ended up buying some shoes at nordstrom rack before flying out to korea so i'm not in a rush to buy another pair
    but if i spot any good deal, i'll try to purchase some dept store certificates and try it

btw
    has anyone been to the yeoju premium outlets?
    is it worth the 1+hour drive from seoul or am i going to find pretty much the same stuff back in the states?
    i live in southern california so i do have a few big outlets within driving distance but rarely make the trip

11. XKxRome0ox

XKxRome0ox Senior member

i went to the lotte dept store and tried on about a dozen different suits
    the "basso" brand suit pants fit me so perfectly... never had any pants look that good on me before
    the suit itself is fused but whatever... it fit almost perfectly so i just bought it

now if i want these suit pants copied exactly, who should i go to?
    i'll look through this thread again... but if anyone has any RECENT experience and can tell me average prices and quality
    and if there's anything to look out for
    much appreciated

btw... i went to the shinsegae dept store as well... tried on a brioni suit...
    wow ... that suit was NICE and draped just perfectly... first time trying on a fully canvassed suit
    so now i know what a real high quality suit feels like...
    too bad it cost over $4000 on sale [​IMG]

12. pvrhye

pvrhye Senior member

You're so lucky that you're the right size for this place. Not a damn suit on the rack that will fit me.

13. Miha28

Miha28 Active Member

I will be studying in Korea (Daegu) from March till the end of July. I'm considering getting some tailored suits and shirts there (I haven't found anything about tailors in Daegu so I think Seoul might be the best option for me). Is anyone of you guys living in Soul willing to give me some help when getting a suit there (I'm thinking of Hahn's)? I haven't got myself any custom made suits yet hence I'd be grateful if someone could assist me here. Plus I don't speak Korean (yet) [​IMG]

14. Prestwich

Prestwich Active Member

Bit of an update from me - Savile Row is indeed still open for business next to Hahn's in Itaewon, despite reports to the contrary. I had a 3-piece suit made up there, as well as a few shirts.

I was a little concerned at the lack of fittings (I was measured up, went back for one fitting, then picked up the suit a few days later). I normally like to have at least one more fitting than that to ensure that everything is right. However, I was impressed with the suit - it fit very well and seems to be well constructed. Mr Choe, the owner, clearly takes pride in his work and took the time to talk me through my fabric choice and discuss the various options available to me.

For the price, I feel like I got good value and would recommend Savile Row to anyone looking for a well-made, good value MTM suit in Seoul.

15. aeglus

aeglus Senior member Dubiously Honored

Bit of an update from me - Savile Row is indeed still open for business next to Hahn's in Itaewon, despite reports to the contrary. I had a 3-piece suit made up there, as well as a few shirts. I was a little concerned at the lack of fittings (I was measured up, went back for one fitting, then picked up the suit a few days later). I normally like to have at least one more fitting than that to ensure that everything is right. However, I was impressed with the suit - it fit very well and seems to be well constructed. Mr Choe, the owner, clearly takes pride in his work and took the time to talk me through my fabric choice and discuss the various options available to me. For the price, I feel like I got good value and would recommend Savile Row to anyone looking for a well-made, good value MTM suit in Seoul.
    Sort of strange. They always do at least two fittings with me, if not 3-4. Then again I'm pretty picky. First fitting is more which makes it even more strange. Maybe you were happy enough and didn't ask them to change anything after the first fitting? Also the tailor they use can do a lot more than advertised. Make sure you know EXACTLY what you want if you go there. You can get a lot of extra details or more unique stitching techniques for free.