tailors in seoul korea?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by HanSoo417, Jul 14, 2008.

1. ryoneo

ryoneo Senior member

Does anyone know the current price point and if NY Tailor is still in business? If not I will certainly consider some of the other tailors mentioned here.

Yes it's still there.
    The name New York Tailor sounds really familiar to me, but I can't place exactly where it is. Do you remember the general location? Was it on the base-side of the station or the Hannam-side of the station? Next time I'm in the area I'll keep my eyes open and report back.

NY Tailors is right past the arch on your right side, right after Hanh's Tailors and before the MacDonalds.

2. krawlxx

krawlxx Well-Known Member

I've made quite a number of shirts from Hamilton shirts in Itaewon. All I can say is that you really get what you pay for. The workmanship is pretty crappy and yeah somehow they always do something wrong (either the shirt's too long/the sleeves are too long/wrong cuffs are made...etc). They're cheap and they look decent but don't expect too much.

I balance these shirts out with better made ones from Goshe and/or Savile Row. They're more pricey (almost double) but they always get the fit right.

Definitely a good idea. I should pick it up tomorrow, and hopefully it will serve its purpose of adding a bit of color and pattern to my wardrobe.

3. joelmthw

joelmthw Senior member

im interning at samsung in suwon for the semester and im looking to get a suit made. i read through this whole thread and lots of good info, but it dates back to 2008 so idk whats out of date, etc.

college kid=broke as a joke
    looking for a 2 piece suit under 350-400 bucks. whats the best i can get at this price point and who should i go to? hanhs in itaewon is looking like the best right now...

4. ryoneo

ryoneo Senior member

some places in itaewon can start that low... hahn starts at 500,000won for a suit

5. joelmthw

joelmthw Senior member

500k won is doable, just looking for a navy interview suit. any other recs?

6. ryoneo

ryoneo Senior member

the only other tailor that I have talked to and seen his work was, New York Tailor. Average in Itaewon.

7. Funksy

Funksy Senior member

Reviving this thread to ask for tailors for a different sort of request. I have a pair of 3Sixteen ST's coming in and want to get them hemmed shortly after they arrive. I've gotten a few pairs of cheaper jeans hemmed at tailors around Songtan (I'm in the Air Force and stationed at Osan AB, so that's what is close) and have been less then impressed. I'm not real keen on letting them have a go at my $200 jeans...

Anyone have any advice on someone who can do denim well? I'd LIKE to find someone who can do chainstitching, but I'd be happy with someone who can just do a QUALITY, DURABLE hem. Someone in Songtan would be nice, but I get up to Seoul often enough that going to someone up there wouldn't be too out of the way.

Thanks for the advice.

8. Jack (hit the road)

Jack (hit the road) New Member

Hello there.

Here in Korea it's quite hard for me to find suitable clothes (I'm pretty tall).. So I decided to order a custom-shop blazer and a couple of shirts to wear with. Could you advice any tailor in Seoul who probably will make a nice blazer for $400 - $600?

9. pebblegrain

pebblegrain Senior member

Reviving this thread to ask for tailors for a different sort of request. I have a pair of 3Sixteen ST's coming in and want to get them hemmed shortly after they arrive. I've gotten a few pairs of cheaper jeans hemmed at tailors around Songtan (I'm in the Air Force and stationed at Osan AB, so that's what is close) and have been less then impressed. I'm not real keen on letting them have a go at my $200 jeans...

Anyone have any advice on someone who can do denim well? I'd LIKE to find someone who can do chainstitching, but I'd be happy with someone who can just do a QUALITY, DURABLE hem. Someone in Songtan would be nice, but I get up to Seoul often enough that going to someone up there wouldn't be too out of the way.

Thanks for the advice.

anyone can do a quality hem in korea. no one can do a chainstitch

10. Thbo

Thbo New Member

I have meanwhile 4 suits from Hahn's and i can totally agree with what has been said before. For the price (around 550k Won for 2 piece) you get a reasonable suit for everyday purposes.
    You have to be careful what fabric you choose (the Goldentex stuff is ok imho) and you need to tell them exactly what you want.
    If it doesnt fit right at first fitting request another one after they made the alterations. If necessary a third one. They will do that without any problem. Only let them finish the suit if you are satisfied with it.
    They btw do alterations or repairs for free for (regular) customers. I personally tear of the back pocket buttons on a regular basis, dont ask me why....
    So far they have been able to deliver any style i wanted. Including stuff like working button holes without extra charge.

What you get there is a better fit (and service) than in most of the other Itaewon shops. I had suits made in 2 others and i wouldnt go back there.

For shirts i go to Hamilton. I think the quality is reasonable for the price. I have probably 30 shirts from there. I work them out frequently. Because of that i dont want to buy 100k white shirts and throw them away after 9 months. But they will not get the fit right the first time! They will be to big by 99% chance.
    My advise: Have 1 made. Wear it and wash it and then go back wearing it. Show them what to change for the next one.
    Develop your measurements in their database. Meanwhile mine do fit very well.
    If they come out too big nevertheless (which happens from time to time), they will alterate them for free if you go back.

The only problem i have is shoes. I am wearing a US 12 or maybe slightly more.
    Can anyone recommend a place where you can buy reasonable quality dress shoes in size 12?
    I tried the cheap made to measure ones but they are crap (as stated before in this thread).
    I am really desperate to find something since i dont get out of East Asia very often and the situation is terrible in that region regarding big size dress shoes.

Any suggestion would be very much appreciated.

11. Prestwich

Prestwich Active Member

I'm going to be in Seoul over Christmas and want to get a couple of suits and a bunch of shirts made. Budget is roughly about $500 per suit and $50 per shirt. I was planning to get one suit and a few shirts made at Hahn (I went before for shirts and was reasonably satisfied if not blown away) and do the same at Savile Row (next to Hahns).

Hopefully this will give me a clear idea of which is the better tailor for me and I'll be able to stick to one for the future (I visit Seoul fairly regularly).

Good idea? Bad idea? Any other thoughts or suggestions? All will be received gratefully.

12. hypernikes

hypernikes New Member

I'm going to be in Seoul over Christmas and want to get a couple of suits and a bunch of shirts made. Budget is roughly about $500 per suit and $50 per shirt. I was planning to get one suit and a few shirts made at Hahn (I went before for shirts and was reasonably satisfied if not blown away) and do the same at Savile Row (next to Hahns).

Hopefully this will give me a clear idea of which is the better tailor for me and I'll be able to stick to one for the future (I visit Seoul fairly regularly).

Good idea? Bad idea? Any other thoughts or suggestions? All will be received gratefully.

Saville Row is no longer next to Hahn's.

13. hypernikes

hypernikes New Member

Shoes (Big Sizes) Yeomcheon Bridge Shoe Street Seoul, Jung-gu, Sunhwa-dong (서울특별시 중구 순화동) -\tSeoul Station, Line No. 1 (서울역), Exits 2 – 7 -\tYou should be able to see shoe stores from any of these exits. Kumkang Big & Small – Gangnam Branch Seoul, Seocho-gu, Seocho4-dong 1305, 3F (서울특별시 서초구 서초4동 1305 3F) -\tSinnonyeon Station, Line No. 9 (신논현역), Exit 6 -\tWalk straight about 250 meters, the store will be on your right Or -\tGangnam Station, Line No. 2 (강남역), Exit 6 -\tWalk straight about 390 meters, the store will be on your left Kumkang Big & Small – Myeongdong Branch Seoul, Jung-gu, Myeongdong2-ga 33-8, 3F (서울특별시 중구 명동2가 33-8 3F) -\tMyeongdong Station, Line No. 4 (명동역), Exit 6 -\tWalk about 180 meters. -\tTurn right at the intersection with Dunkin Donuts -\tWalk straight about 35 meters, the store will be on your right   Ties Andrew & Lesley – Mugyo Branch Seoul, Jung-gu, Mugyo-dong 11, Gwangil Building 706 (서울특별시 중구 무교동 11, 광일빌딩 706호) Tel. No. 02-719-7131 -\tCity Hall Station, Line No. 1 (시청역), Exit 4 -\tJonggak Station, Line No. 1 (종각역), Exit 5 or 6 -\tEujiro 1-ga Station, Line No. 1 (을지로입구역), Exit 1 or 2 -\tGwanghwamun Station, Line No. 5 (광화문역), Exit 5 -\tSearch the address on a map site, plan accordingly Andrew & Lesley – Apgujeong Branch Seoul, Gangnam-gu, Sinsa-dong 616-2, Umi Building 103 (서울특별시 강남구 신사동 616-2, 우미빌딩 103호) Tel. No. 02-511-5901 -\tApgujeong Station, Line No. 3 (압구정역), Exit 2 -\tMake a U-turn out from the exit -\tTurn right at the intersection -\tWalk straight about 360 meters, the store will be on your right Andrew’s Ties – Jongno Branch Seoul, Jongno-gu, Jongno2-ga 8-4, Jangan Building (서울특별시 종로구 종로2가 8-4 장안빌딩) Tel. No. 02-786-8061 -\tJonggak Station, Line No. 1 (종각역), Exit 3 -\tWalk straight about 70 meters, the store will be on your left Andrew’s Ties – Yeongdeungpo Branch Seoul, Yeongdeungpo-gu, Yeouido-dong 17, The Sharp Island Park (서울시 영등포구 여의도동 17, 더샵 아일랜드 파크) Tel. No. 02-733-8060 -\tNational Assembly Station, Line No. 9 (국회의사당역), Exit 4 -\tWalk straight about 175 meters, you should see Island Park on your left Suits Hahn’s Custom Tailor Seoul, Yongsan-gu, Itaewon-dong 34-16 (서울특별시 용산구 이태원동 34-16) Tel. No. 02-793-0830 -\tItaewon Station, Line No. 6 (이태원역), Exit 4 -\tWalk straight about 400 meters to the end of the street. -\tTurn the corner, the store will be on your left Dress Shirts Goshe Seoul, Gangnam-gu, Sinsa-dong 641 (서울특별시강남구 신사동 641) Tel. No. 02-541-3588 -\tApgujeong Station, Line No. 3 (압구정), Exit 2 -\tMake a U-Turn at the exit -\tTurn right at the intersection -\tWalk straight about 775 meters, you’ll pass a Hana Bank and a KB Bank and cross a big intersection -\tAfter you pass another KB Bank and before the other Hana Bank, make a right -\tWalk straight about 125 meters, the store will be on your right Hamilton Shirts Seoul, Yongsan-gu, Itaewon-dong 128-9 (서울특별시 용산구 이태원동 128-9) Tel. No. 02-793-5693 -\tItaewon Station, Line No. 6 (이태원역), Exit 4 -\tWalk straight out from the exit, you should see the store on your left

14. hypernikes

hypernikes New Member

Andrew & Lesley are having a sale until the 31st I believe.

Silk ties from Italy for 30,000won or four for 100,000won.

15. krawlxx

krawlxx Well-Known Member

I like the official list. Is this something we can add on to? There is one more Kumkang I am aware of, just on the intersection of Insadong / Jongro. If I find the address, can I forward it on to you for addition?

Also, have you used Kumkang before? I got a pair of Bruno Magli's there, and it's about time to have them resoled. I am wondering if they will do it through the shop, or if I am better off going to one of the specialty shops in Myeong-dong that repair leather goods. I just don't really trust the small booths on the street to resole my shoes.