• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Tailors in Naples Who Speak English?

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Panzeraxe II
And how much more expensive was Rubinacci?
Double that price, or close to it. More like London or NY. My understanding is that Formosa is also a good bit more expensive. Also, do not expect the same fabric selection at all shops. Skip Sabino, his is not a tailor shop, but a mini Kiton type operation. They are not "hand made" like you would find elsewhere in Naples.

Eustace Tilley

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt
Double that price, or close to it. More like London or NY. My understanding is that Formosa is also a good bit more expensive. Also, do not expect the same fabric selection at all shops.

Skip Sabino, his is not a tailor shop, but a mini Kiton type operation. They are not "hand made" like you would find elsewhere in Naples.

Thanks Matt.

Do you know much about Formosa? I never hear his name around the forums, and there is very little info on him on the internet. I think I was quoted 1,800 euros by him, but I'll have to check my email.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Eustace Tilley
- Typical suit prices (excl. Rubinacci) are between 1,500 - 1,800 euros. Surprisingly, overcoats are always 15-20% more (NY and London tailors charge the same price for overcoats and suits)

I had no idea the price difference between Rubinacci and the rest was so huge. I would have thought that at least a couple tailors would occupy price points somewhere in between. What would a jacket by itself go for at the places you listed? ~1,100 euros?

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mafoofan
I had no idea the price difference between Rubinacci and the rest was so huge. I would have thought that at least a couple tailors would occupy price points somewhere in between. What would a jacket by itself go for at the places you listed? ~1,100 euros?
It is not unusual, in Italy, to have wide price gaps between local artisans. In Florence, Bemer is more than double the price of the other local shoemakers. In his case, there is good reason. I can't say about all cases.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Double that price, or close to it. More like London or NY.
You keep saying this, but I think it is substantially more than that. At least, that is what one NY-based customer I know has reported.

It's at least 2,800 pounds for a suit in London, no? And off the top of my head, I think that is an old price that I was quoted a year and a half ago. It's probably gone up.

There are some tailors on the Row who are that much or more, but most are closer to 2,200.

The Euro price in Naples is like 3,300 or 3,500, no?

NY prices are high but at $3,000 to $5,000 (depending) still less than that.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
It is not unusual, in Italy, to have wide price gaps between local artisans. In Florence, Bemer is more than double the price of the other local shoemakers. In his case, there is good reason. I can't say about all cases.

I figure one gets a lot from Rubinacci, particularly as an out-of-country client, that the other tailors in Naples can't or won't match. But what's your opinion on the other tailors' workmanship?

Originally Posted by Manton
You keep saying this, but I think it is substantially more than that. At least, that is what one NY-based customer I know has reported.

It's at least 2,800 pounds for a suit in London, no? And off the top of my head, I think that is an old price that I was quoted a year and a half ago. It's probably gone up.

There are some tailors on the Row who are that much or more, but most are closer to 2,200.

The Euro price in Naples is like 3,300 or 3,500, no?

NY prices are high but at $3,000 to $5,000 (depending) still less than that.

Well, each of my sportcoats from Rubinacci has been 2800 euros, including VAT. My suits were ~4000 euros each, also including VAT. These are all very recent prices. The cloths are nothing fancy.

Eustace Tilley

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
You keep saying this, but I think it is substantially more than that.

You are right - I was quoted a starting price of 4,200 euros when I called the Rubinacci store in Naples.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
VAT is 17.5% and included in the 2800. I guess a little more expensive than SR average, but not near the top prices there. Anyway, I don't care, I am happy. See
smile.gif

Eustace Tilley

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mafoofan

I never checked on the price of a sportcoat, but 1,100 - 1,200 euros would be a pretty safe bet. CMT suit prices were typically 1,300 - 1,600 euros.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
VAT is 17.5% and included in the 2800. I guess a little more expensive than SR average, but not near the top prices there.

I doubt the 2,800 GPB price is still in place. If the EU price is 4,200, then the GBP price would have to be 3,200 or so to match that.

You don't get all of the 17.5% back, closer to 10%. And, from what I have heard, the shop declares everything to the pound/euro, so whatever you save in VAT, you pay out even more in duties.

In the end, it's got to be a $6,500 suit (at least) for Americans. You can get out of London for much less, and NY for even less than that.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I doubt the 2,800 GPB price is still in place. If the EU price is 4,200, then the GBP price would have to be 3,200 or so to match that.

You don't get all of the 17.5% back, closer to 10%. And, from what I have heard, the shop declares everything to the pound/euro, so whatever you save in VAT, you pay out even more in duties.

In the end, it's got to be a $6,500 suit (at least) for Americans. You can get out of London for much less, and NY for even less than that.

I don't know if they have raised the London prices. The 4200 Euro price was set when the London store opened, but currencies have fluctuated, so I don't know. I generally pick my stuff up, so I get the VAT back. I don't think it is only 10%, but am not sure. Anyway, I feel I am getting what I pay for, and am happy with the price and service. That might be crazy, but I decided that if I was going to buy bespoke clothing, the price would be high, and the marginal price between tailors would not influence my decision. Possibly stupid, but better stupid and happy...

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
I don't know if they have raised the London prices. The 4200 Euro price was set when the London store opened, but currencies have fluctuated, so I don't know. I generally pick my stuff up, so I get the VAT back. I don't think it is only 10%, but am not sure.

Anyway, I feel I am getting what I pay for, and am happy with the price and service. That might be crazy, but I decided that if I was going to buy bespoke clothing, the price would be high, and the marginal price between tailors would not influence my decision. Possibly stupid, but better stupid and happy...

I'm not questioning the wisdom of your decision, only your claim that the price is about on par with SR and NY.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I'm not questioning the wisdom of your decision, only your claim that the price is about on par with SR and NY.
Well, being that I have never bought anything on SR or in NY, I question the wisdom of listening to me on the subject
tounge.gif
. I always thought that SR ranged from about 2200 to 4000 GBP with Huntsman, Kilgour and Gieves at the top and Anderson at the bottom, I guess I am wrong. Panzer, Liverano is in Florence. I believe he is expensive, but not sure how expensive. I think he is thought to be pretty good, though.

Eustace Tilley

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Well, being that I have never bought anything on SR or in NY, I question the wisdom of listening to me on the subject :tongue:. I always thought that SR ranged from about 2200 to 4000 GBP with Huntsman, Kilgour and Gieves at the top and Anderson at the bottom, I guess I am wrong.

Most are towards the lower end of that range. Dege, Welsh, Norton, Poole, and A&S are all less than 2,500 excl. VAT

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads