• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Tailor's fabric book, British Woolens

whoop

Reaction score
Hey all,

I have lurked this forum for a loong time and I decided to get a custom suit made by Richard Lim (in Los Angeles). I didn't have time to shop the fabric district before I went, so I ended up choosing a fabric from a company called British Woolens in Montreal. It's a navy window pane that seemed close to a super 150s that he was showing me in a bolt that he had on hand.

Has anyone else heard of this company or am I mistakenly buying into what the tailor had on hand? I wish I would have known what choices I had, what do you guys think I should have asked before I put down the deposit? Is there a huge difference between what you can hustle out of the fabric shops and what the Tailor stocks? (from what I have read, there is not, but I just wanted to hear any horror stories to be sure I wasn't falling into the same traps)

IronRock

Reaction score
Originally Posted by whoop
Hey all,

I have lurked this forum for a loong time and I decided to get a custom suit made by Richard Lim (in Los Angeles). I didn't have time to shop the fabric district before I went, so I ended up choosing a fabric from a company called British Woolens in Montreal. It's a navy window pane that seemed close to a super 150s that he was showing me in a bolt that he had on hand.

Has anyone else heard of this company or am I mistakenly buying into what the tailor had on hand? I wish I would have known what choices I had, what do you guys think I should have asked before I put down the deposit? Is there a huge difference between what you can hustle out of the fabric shops and what the Tailor stocks? (from what I have read, there is not, but I just wanted to hear any horror stories to be sure I wasn't falling into the same traps)

No trap. He wants you to come back and re-order, it's not worth his while.

Can't tell you anything about the cloth but I 'd bet its perfectly fine for a first go at bespoke.

whoop

Reaction score
No trap. He wants you to come back and re-order, it's not worth his while.
Thanks for the response. You're right, I bet it's just a fabric house that had what I wanted. The tailor didn't even have the fabric on hand, it had to be ordered.

I guess I am just a little unsure about the fact that I didn't get the details about the fineness and weight of the wool when I ordered the suit. Is it weird to ask the tailor about the weight and grade of the fabric after it has been ordered? Is it a silly move to put down a deposit without understanding the details of the fabric that you are ordering?

I guess what I am really worried about is: is it strange to ask a lot of details about fabric and construction after the fact, or should you get them up front?

Shirtmaven

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
there are two companies that I know of in Montreal who distibute to the tailors.
both source from europe and sell a high quality product.

this fabric is delivered to the tailor, duty paid.
the mills that get most of the love on this site, may not have standard distribution in North america. or richard Lim has a good relationship with ths distributer

if you like the feel of the fabric, then you should be fine

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by whoop

I guess what I am really worried about is: is it strange to ask a lot of details about fabric and construction after the fact, or should you get them up front?

You think of things afterwards to ask so you call him and ask. It's normal and no big deal.

whoop

Reaction score
Thanks gents, I guess I was just getting nervous.

I'll follow up with the tailor and not feel like a whiny customer.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads