• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

    Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

    LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

    Good luck!

  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

    Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

    Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

    Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Tailors and other sartorial treasures in Napoli - from Men's EX

blackdice

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jan 20, 2011
Messages
69
Reaction score
11
So as I promised in another thread, here is a quick overview of the article from Men's EX June / July 2011 issues. It features a wide range of relatively unknown tailors and other artisans in Napoli.

If you are interested in pictures and more details, feel free to pm me or leave a comment on my blog.

It starts with an interview with Antonio Panico and his son Alberto, who has made a decision to succeed his father's business lately; it then argues how the entire tailoring industry in Napoli is challenging, especially with the sudden upsurge in the demand from Russia, etc. At the same time, there is a wave of the new generation artisans, who are taking a slightly different, and modern approach than their predecessors.

It then introduces a mix of wellknown / unknown artisans in the city.

1. Luciano Lombardi
Known as a traditional camiceria, they are now expanding into the suit tailoring business with a strong focus on unstructured 'shirt jackets'.

2. Ulturare
A new tie maker exploring different / new design details including ties with a metal charm, 12 pieghe, etc.

3. Mola
One of the most wellknown and oldest trousers makers in Napoli. They are particularly famous for 'forma esse', that fits extremely well with the organic shape of the wear's legs. They do offer a limited RTW products, as well as some MTM service via some retailers (mostly in Japan). Incidentally, they make all my trousers that I order from Napoli and I'll upload an in-depth review of its construction shortly.

3. Salvatore Piccolo
One of the most successful "new generation" camicerias in Napoli. He takes a very creative approach to his fabric selection and details, that allows him to offer a wider range of products - including chambray shirts made in a fabric made in Okayama, Japan, and checked shirts with American details. He started working as a shirt maker 16 years ago, when he was merely 17 years old and now has 20 artisans working for his camiceria.

4. Various suppliers
It then introduces a couple of suppliers who provide buttons, threads, to the local tailors:
Longobaldi Marcella: one of the largest suppliers in Napoli - offers everything from threads to shoulder pads
Tramontano: button specialist - unfortunately closing their business shortly
Consiglio: Fabric specialist with extensive selection of vintage linens - I am personally visiting them with my tailor next time I am in town

5. Sartoria Vincenzo Daddio
Yet another local tailor - not sure about what their specialty / unique selling point is. Hard to tell from the article.

Then the July issue starts with an introduction of Errico Formicola, one of the protagonists who pushed the Neapolitan sartorial scene to where it is now, along with the likes of Rubinacci, Attolini, etc.

6. Alfuredo Rifugio
Leather specialist who recently developed a new technique to treat leather in a similar way as one does cloths, which allowed them to make perfectly tailored leather jackets. It has gained big popularity in the Russian market and apparently local customers are going nuts for a £20,000 croco jacket, etc.

7. Max Ci
Another tailor who has a particular focus on catering to the needs of bigger clients - particularly from Russia. They also accommodate a wide range of different (i.e. non Neapolitan) styles than other sartoria.

8. Antonio Petrosino
Antonio, still at 30 years old, is one of the youngest tailors who won the prestigious Forbici D'Oro last year. He servers a younger client base ranging from 30's to 50's. Incidentally, he is my tailor and those who are interested in his work, please pm me.

9. Mario Talarico
Umbrella maker who has +40 years' experience

On a side note, Men's EX digital edition is now available from the Japanese iTunes store - so those who are paying premium on the paper edition may wish to consider it.
 

andreyb2

Senior Member
Joined
Apr 25, 2006
Messages
446
Reaction score
42
Originally Posted by blackdice
especially with the sudden upsurge in the demand from Russia

butbut.gif


Originally Posted by blackdice
It has gained big popularity in the Russian market and apparently local customers are going nuts for a £20,000 croco jacket, etc.

butbut.gif
butbut.gif


Originally Posted by blackdice
Another tailor who has a particular focus on catering to the needs of bigger clients - particularly from Russia.

butbut.gif
butbut.gif
butbut.gif


Banis, is it you who placed huge orders in all these ateliers?!

Andrey
 

Eustace Tilley

Timed Out
Timed Out
Joined
Sep 27, 2007
Messages
6,441
Reaction score
324
This is great blackdice. Would love to hear more on Mola and Antonio Petrosino.
 

Parker

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Joined
Jan 9, 2005
Messages
8,895
Reaction score
15,882
Thanks for the post, blackdice. I love finding out about these "sartorial treasures." The two Merolla shirts on your blog are beautiful.

Incidentally, I wonder if London has any similar off-the-Row artisans.
 

blackdice

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jan 20, 2011
Messages
69
Reaction score
11
Originally Posted by Eustace Tilley
This is great blackdice. Would love to hear more on Mola and Antonio Petrosino.

Pleasure. As for Mola, Men's ex featured them in the past.
http://xbrand.yahoo.co.jp/category/fashion/3129/6.html

You'll see how ridiculously curved some of the trouser legs are.
The article also says that their RTW line Antico Pantalone is available from JPY55,000, and the Su Misura line from JPY126,000, which is a approx. 4-5 times more than you'd pay in Napoli.

I now own a few pairs made by them and I am satisfied in principle. There is something, however, that makes me hesitant to say they are perfect, and I am still exploring what exactly it is. They are definitely much better than any of my RTW trousers by the likes of Incotex (J35), etc. though...

Regarding Antonio, I think his style may be "love it or hate it" to many people, as his style is so much more subdued and less distinctively Neapolitan than that of other big names. Whilst keeping Neapolitan details such as the shoulder construction, high gorge line, pocket shape, etc., his silhouette looks leaner and cleaner to some extent. I am personally infatuated with his style and given that he's already nailed down my pattern to near perfection, I think I'll stick to him for a while.

As is often the case with any other Neapolitan tailors, he does not have access to good English fabrics - so 90% of the time I buy fabrics myself and send them over to him, which doesn't bother me at all.
 

blackdice

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jan 20, 2011
Messages
69
Reaction score
11
Originally Posted by Parker
Thanks for the post, blackdice. I love finding out about these "sartorial treasures." The two Merolla shirts on your blog are beautiful.

Incidentally, I wonder if London has any similar off-the-Row artisans.


Thanks Parker.

I would be also interested in the off-the-Row artisans here in London but I have yet to find anything that is even remotely close to what you find on the street of Napoli... Although the Drakes factory is fairly "off-the-Row", situated in East London.
 

Kaplan

Distinguished Member
Joined
Sep 25, 2008
Messages
5,281
Reaction score
4,627
Some very nice photos on you blog and the RAF fresco coat looks great. What buttons are you planning to change to?
 

ThinkDerm

Stylish Dinosaur
Joined
Jun 5, 2008
Messages
13,361
Reaction score
1,085
Originally Posted by blackdice
So as I promised in another thread, here is a quick overview of the article from Men's EX June / July 2011 issues. It features a wide range of relatively unknown tailors and other artisans in Napoli.

If you are interested in pictures and more details, feel free to pm me or leave a comment on my blog.

It starts with an interview with Antonio Panico and his son Alberto, who has made a decision to succeed his father's business lately; it then argues how the entire tailoring industry in Napoli is challenging, especially with the sudden upsurge in the demand from Russia, etc. At the same time, there is a wave of the new generation artisans, who are taking a slightly different, and modern approach than their predecessors.

It then introduces a mix of wellknown / unknown artisans in the city.

1. Luciano Lombardi
Known as a traditional camiceria, they are now expanding into the suit tailoring business with a strong focus on unstructured 'shirt jackets'.

2. Ulturare
A new tie maker exploring different / new design details including ties with a metal charm, 12 pieghe, etc.

3. Mola
One of the most wellknown and oldest trousers makers in Napoli. They are particularly famous for 'forma esse', that fits extremely well with the organic shape of the wear's legs. They do offer a limited RTW products, as well as some MTM service via some retailers (mostly in Japan). Incidentally, they make all my trousers that I order from Napoli and I'll upload an in-depth review of its construction shortly.

3. Salvatore Piccolo
One of the most successful "new generation" camicerias in Napoli. He takes a very creative approach to his fabric selection and details, that allows him to offer a wider range of products - including chambray shirts made in a fabric made in Okayama, Japan, and checked shirts with American details. He started working as a shirt maker 16 years ago, when he was merely 17 years old and now has 20 artisans working for his camiceria.

4. Various suppliers
It then introduces a couple of suppliers who provide buttons, threads, to the local tailors:
Longobaldi Marcella: one of the largest suppliers in Napoli - offers everything from threads to shoulder pads
Tramontano: button specialist - unfortunately closing their business shortly
Consiglio: Fabric specialist with extensive selection of vintage linens - I am personally visiting them with my tailor next time I am in town

5. Sartoria Vincenzo Daddio
Yet another local tailor - not sure about what their specialty / unique selling point is. Hard to tell from the article.

Then the July issue starts with an introduction of Errico Formicola, one of the protagonists who pushed the Neapolitan sartorial scene to where it is now, along with the likes of Rubinacci, Attolini, etc.

6. Alfuredo Rifugio
Leather specialist who recently developed a new technique to treat leather in a similar way as one does cloths, which allowed them to make perfectly tailored leather jackets. It has gained big popularity in the Russian market and apparently local customers are going nuts for a £20,000 croco jacket, etc.

7. Max Ci
Another tailor who has a particular focus on catering to the needs of bigger clients - particularly from Russia. They also accommodate a wide range of different (i.e. non Neapolitan) styles than other sartoria.

8. Antonio Petrosino
Antonio, still at 30 years old, is one of the youngest tailors who won the prestigious Forbici D'Oro last year. He servers a younger client base ranging from 30's to 50's. Incidentally, he is my tailor and those who are interested in his work, please pm me.

9. Mario Talarico
Umbrella maker who has +40 years' experience

On a side note, Men's EX digital edition is now available from the Japanese iTunes store - so those who are paying premium on the paper edition may wish to consider it.


Wow. Nice write up.

Would love to hear more about:

Antonio Petrosino

Mola

Tramontano - and why they are closing (they make briefcases to my understanding, if this is the same company)

Alfuredo Rifugio's work

Thank you!
 

M. Alden

Active Member
Joined
Feb 17, 2007
Messages
37
Reaction score
1
Both of the Mola bothers, Antonio and Gennaro, who learned their trade from the great Neapolitan tailor, Antonio Schiraldi, have passed away. At one time they were pretty much considered to be the best trouser makers in Naples and their work was highly sought after by Japanese visitors.

The cut of their trousers was very different from the jeans like cut normally seen these days in Naples. It was about as close to trouser perfection as I have seen. A few years ago I wrote that the three most important things in a good trouser were "line, line and line." I had the image of Gennaro Mola's trouser in mind. Sadly, I found them too late and as far as I can tell, no one has taken up their cutting style.

As I understand it, a nephew of the Mola's, a Mr. Marco Cerato is continuing their work.

Cheers

Michael Alden
 

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

  • Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

  • Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

  • No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

  • I don't wear fragrance


Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
509,159
Messages
10,608,159
Members
224,840
Latest member
luxurylav
Top