Tailoring

Discussion in 'Menswear Advice' started by Kosta007, Apr 24, 2016.

1. Kosta007

Kosta007 Member

Over the last few years I've invested a good amount into higher quality clothes but my body shape is stuck in between a large and a medium. As a result, I usually buy large but when I tuck my button down in, it starts to balloon and looks pretty baggy. I plan on taking some shirts to a tailor and was wondering:
    1) How much should I expect to pay to adjust the body and sleeves?
    2) Are there any good tailors located on Long Island or would I be better off traveling to NYC?
    Thanks in advance for any responses.

2. Murlsquirl

Murlsquirl The Moral Squirrel Dubiously Honored Moderator

I would plan on spending about $40 per shirt...could be more, could be less. You'll soon realize that if you have to do that for every shirt, you'd be better off investing into some quality MTM. Give Luxire, ProperCloth, or Spier & Mackay a look. I'm in CA so I can't help you with LI tailors, but maybe @SpooPoker can point you in the right direction.

3. Kosta007

Kosta007 Member

Yea I definitely will start getting into MTM if that's the case. I'll definitely look into those places thanks a bunch.

4. Alpha11

Alpha11 Senior member

Make sure that your shirts are not fused at the seams if that is the case the only thing a clothing tailor can do is dart the back of the shirts. I do not really care to have darts in the back of my shirts as it breaks up the clean lines and looks too feminine to me. MTM is be your best option if you ask me.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2016
  5. Kosta007

Kosta007 Member

Will do thanks