• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Tailoring wool pants wearable with minimalist sneakers

josepidal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm noticing more and more (younger) friends wearing a more casual shirt, minimalist or white sneakers, and light gray wool pants. How do you have your tailor make wool pants this way? Would you ask for a much slimmer, tapered leg with no break, and a shorter pant leg so the hem is above the bottom of the shoe heel and the top of the sole? Would this kind of wool pants be fundamentally different from dress wool pants and unwearable with oxfords and similar dress shoes (just as more classically cut dress pants with a full break are unwearable with sneakers)?

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
It's generally done with slimmer trousers, but you don't need to cut special trousers. I just wouldn't wear it with, like, J. Press pants.

Personally think it's easier to look good when you're wearing a jacket of some kind. If you plan to wear this with a sport coat, it's doable to wear sneakers, but it can be like threading a needle. Very easy for the outfit to look like a 2010 menswear page or a Suitsupply ad.

josepidal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This is the classic menswear forum, but I hope it doesn't turn into the vintage menswear forum one day.

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This is a trend that seems to be born of the suits with sneakers trend that I see some wearing, especially TV announcers. I suppose this is just a progression of that.

It’s a silly look, but that’s not the question. I don’t think you need to do anything different. However, before you run out and either buy or have your existing slacks tailored short and tight, bear in mind that this is a fad and do you really want to invest in something with which you may not favor a year from now?

josepidal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No, but I find myself thinking about whether I'd like dress pants cut slimmer, possibly cuffed and with the hem higher instead of my default visible break that touches the shoe sole.

nubirth

Reaction score
I wear wool blend dress pants with ANY vintage sneaker. No modern Nikes etc. The key is NO PANT BREAK. The taper or slim fit makes it appear that you are afraid to wear dress pants. The sneakers make the formal looking pants look casual without resorting to tapered or slim pants.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
My suggestion to the OP: it seems like you want to find ways to dress more casually, given the questions I've seen you post on this board. I suggest spending more time on the SWD side of the forum. CM is not very good at giving advice on how to dress casually. A lot of CM Is basically very traditional or it's very boring (e.g. chinos and a polo shirt). Or you can get sucked into very trendy CM looks like the #menswear stuff.

If you're older and feel SWD isn't for you, I assure you there are conservative-ish looks there that work for older men. Brands such as SEH Kelly, for example, can work for a CM guy.

FlyingHorker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My suggestion to the OP: it seems like you want to find ways to dress more casually, given the questions I've seen you post on this board. I suggest spending more time on the SWD side of the forum. CM is not very good at giving advice on how to dress casually. A lot of CM Is basically very traditional or it's very boring (e.g. chinos and a polo shirt). Or you can get sucked into very trendy CM looks like the #menswear stuff.

If you're older and feel SWD isn't for you, I assure you there are conservative-ish looks there that work for older men. Brands such as SEH Kelly, for example, can work for a CM guy.
I don't know if these articles of yours are SWD or CM, but I found them useful, especially for the summer when layering sucks.

How Philo Made Me Love Sandals — Die, Workwear! (dieworkwear.com)
Finding A Different Kind of Closure — Die, Workwear! (dieworkwear.com)

Trendy CM is better for the summer, due to the more interesting enclosures or details.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.0%

Forum statistics

Threads