• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Tailoring the waist of jeans - The definitive thread.

tecevo

Reaction score
There are a lot of perspectives on this ranging from mortification at the thought to cries of "buy the right size, doofus" all the way upto "I did it and they fit perfect" so in the midst of all this confusion I turn to you, yes you, and seek your perspective on this.

Got a pair of jeans that I need to tailor the waist by three inches to fit, the rest of the denim fits perfectly. Went and saw on tailor and they said they could do it but with "darts" which look absolutely atrocious and when I suggested this method:

https://mesewcrazy.com/2015/03/how-to-take-in-a-jeans-waist.html

They just said it couldn't be done even though it seems quite straightforward? Obviously this all depends on the skill of the tailor I'm aware but am wondering overall if any of you have had any success in this as the bunching at the waist looks ridiculous even though the rest fits so well.

Thanks

flowcharts

Reaction score
That's a pretty normal way to take in the waist/seat. If your jeans are standard construction, it may be that your tailor's not interested in putting in that amount of work or doesn't have the machinery to work layers of thick denim. That said, taking in three inches is pushing it, and the better option may be a combination of taking in the center back seam and darts, then reattaching the (resized) waistband. It's probably worth getting a second opinion from another tailor. Also, you should know this won't be cheap to have done, even if you can find someone who will.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads