• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Tailoring the waist of jeans - The definitive thread.

tecevo

Reaction score
There are a lot of perspectives on this ranging from mortification at the thought to cries of "buy the right size, doofus" all the way upto "I did it and they fit perfect" so in the midst of all this confusion I turn to you, yes you, and seek your perspective on this.

Got a pair of jeans that I need to tailor the waist by three inches to fit, the rest of the denim fits perfectly. Went and saw on tailor and they said they could do it but with "darts" which look absolutely atrocious and when I suggested this method:

https://mesewcrazy.com/2015/03/how-to-take-in-a-jeans-waist.html

They just said it couldn't be done even though it seems quite straightforward? Obviously this all depends on the skill of the tailor I'm aware but am wondering overall if any of you have had any success in this as the bunching at the waist looks ridiculous even though the rest fits so well.

Thanks

flowcharts

Reaction score
That's a pretty normal way to take in the waist/seat. If your jeans are standard construction, it may be that your tailor's not interested in putting in that amount of work or doesn't have the machinery to work layers of thick denim. That said, taking in three inches is pushing it, and the better option may be a combination of taking in the center back seam and darts, then reattaching the (resized) waistband. It's probably worth getting a second opinion from another tailor. Also, you should know this won't be cheap to have done, even if you can find someone who will.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How did Covid-19 impact your personal style?

• My style hasn't changed at all.

• My wardrobe hasn't changed but I am wearing casual clothes more often.

• I invested in new good quality leisure and casual clothes.

• I invested in new sartorial clothes taking advantage of the sales.

• I purged my closet during quarantine and I have nothing left to wear.

Results are only viewable after voting.