• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Tailoring Suit Trousers to be Slimmer?

Bsquared

Reaction score
How difficult a job is this for a qualified tailor? I have purchased a couple of BB Fitzgerald suits. The pants still seem a bit large through the legs. Should this be a pretty easy alteration for a BB tailor?

embowafa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Bsquared
How difficult a job is this for a qualified tailor? I have purchased a couple of BB Fitzgerald suits. The pants still seem a bit large through the legs. Should this be a pretty easy alteration for a BB tailor?

It shouldn't be too hard for a decent tailor. The hard part, I think, would be to get an even taper through the leg.

gnatty8

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
It should be relatively straightforward for a competent tailor,

Scrumhalf

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I had several OTR trousers tweaked recently, mainly to reduce the bagginess in the seat and thighs and improve the taper through the leg. I think it cost me in the neighborhood of $20 or $25 per trouser, pretty reasonable really considering that these garments now went from unusable to fitting perfectly.

ChicagoJohn

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Scrumhalf
I had several OTR trousers tweaked recently, mainly to reduce the bagginess in the seat and thighs and improve the taper through the leg. I think it cost me in the neighborhood of $20 or $25 per trouser, pretty reasonable really considering that these garments now went from unusable to fitting perfectly.

This. A proper tailor can do it no problem. Paul Chang has my dress slacks fitting like my diesel jeans. Brought the legs in and the crotch and seat up. They're perfect.

hipcathobbes

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Bsquared

Presumably they have a better idea of what suit cut they're working with than an external tailor. Depends on the quality of the tailors at the BB store. In Chicago, I'd trust the BB Loop guys more than the BB Mich Ave guys... If your local guys can't do it, look around for non-BB tailors.

The Fitzgerald trousers are too baggy for you??

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by hipcathobbes
Presumably they have a better idea of what suit cut they're working with than an external tailor. Depends on the quality of the tailors at the BB store. In Chicago, I'd trust the BB Loop guys more than the BB Mich Ave guys... If your local guys can't do it, look around for non-BB tailors.

I just went in to pick up a suit from the BB in the loop and as soon as I put it on I thought it almost looked worse than when I brought it in (though I will give them the benefit of the doubt since they were undoing some alterations done by a previous owner). I'm supposed to be able to pick it up again on Wednesday...hopefully it turns out nicely since they charge so much less than a private tailor.

For pants, they quoted me $60 on a recut (thinking about getting rid of the double pleats) and I would assume a recut would give them the best opportunity to slim them evenly.

Bsquared

Reaction score
Originally Posted by hipcathobbes

I'm 6'3 180lbs. It doesn't take much extra fabric to be baggy.

There are no good tailors (that I know of) in Central Florida (Tampa/Orlando). The BB tailors did a nice job with the coats, so I will trust them to try the trousers.

Bhowie

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Along this line I'm having trouser fit issues. It seems that about half of all trousers that I try on (suit and others) are way too tight in the crotch and seat. The best example I can give is when I tried on a Hugo Boss suit you could see my junk through the trousers, then when I went over to BB the pants fit perfectly. This has happened for several pairs of pants. Do I need to size the waist up or will I just need to take the seat out?

chang

Reaction score
I had my Golden Fleece trousers recut by Brooks Brothers about 6 months ago at the Seattle Brooks Brothers. The tailor there did some of the work and I think he sent the pants out for the rest of the recut, but the results were really quite fantastic. They removed the pleats and thinned the leg slightly. I had thought about tapering it to 8", and he recommended against it, so I think we went with 8-3/4" or so. I may elect to have it tapered a little bit more later. You can barely tell that they started out life as double pleated pants with a 9.5" leg opening. I wish I had pictures, and the suit is many thousands of miles away right now or I'd show pictures of the recut results.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads