1. In 2018. by way of thanks for being a part of this community, we'll be choosing 16 active members of our community at random to receive a special gift and a gift certificate for one of our affiliate vendors, to represent each of our 16 years.

Fok and the Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Tailoring shirt sleeves

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by norcaltransplant, Nov 21, 2003.

1. norcaltransplant

norcaltransplant Distinguished Member

has anyone ever tried shortening their shirt sleeves through a tailor? How much should I expect this to cost? Should I specify how I want the gauntlets to look(I don't want a completely disfigured sleeve but I need to remove about 2-2.5")? Or is this act of sartorial surgery completely impossible?

norcal

2. jcusey

jcusey Distinguished Member Dubiously Honored

I've had it done many times. Any competent alterations tailor can do it for $10 or $15. The correct way to do it is to remove the gauntlet and cuff, shorten the sleeve, and reattach the gauntlet and cuff.

3. banksmiranda

banksmiranda Senior Member

2"-2.5" is significant. It would be difficult to re-do the sleeve without shortening the placket. Taking off from the top of the sleeve would affect how the sleeve fits in the armhole, and may cost a lot to do. I've never had a sleeve shortened. I've usually gone to a different store to find the same shirt in the length I need. I remember that in summer 2001 Neiman Marcus charged ~$10 per sleeve, couldn't say what Nordstrom or anyone else charges, though I've heard that it's no more than ~$15.