• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Tailoring RTW in North England

TheDarkKnight

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

I wondered if anyone could recommend any tailors for adjustments to RTW in the north of England - Leeds and upwards please?

Re my Savile Row thread I have decided to get a couple of RTW Gucci suits, a plain navy and a navy shadow stripe, as the slim fit is great but needs some adjustments.

I got these from Harvey nichols but didnt want to leave adjustments beyond the trouser hem to them.

I'm looking for the jacket to be taken in slightly, sleeves shortened and the trouser waist and seat very slightly taken in.

Actually the suits are probably 99% great, I'm just a fussy bugger
biggrin.gif

Thanks
smile.gif

UFN

Reaction score
How about asking in one of the better stores what they would recommend?

/U.

Bracemaker

Reaction score
Try -
Rhodes Wood in Harrogate
Steed in Carlisle (long way to go tho')
Goodalls in leeds

TheDarkKnight

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Bracemaker
Try -
Rhodes Wood in Harrogate
Steed in Carlisle (long way to go tho')
Goodalls in leeds

Hi Bracemaker,

Thank you for this info. Have you used these or know of people who have?

UFN - good suggestion - I have got the suits from Harvey Nichols as said, which is a little like Harrods, so a good menswear department. They have their own tailor in there who is doing the trouser hem for me and is the same person each time I go there.

I will ask her when I collect after the trouser adjustment about the further adjustments, and if I can bring in other clothes not bought there.

Very helpful, thanks again
smile.gif

David Reeves

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ahhh. Leeds. My old uni town.

Try alter 8 if they still exist. When I was at Gieves we used them. They also used a very good alts tailor called Eli, maybe go in and ask Helene or Michael who they use. Tell them I sent you.

TheDarkKnight

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by David Reeves
Ahhh. Leeds. My old uni town.

Try alter 8 if they still exist. When I was at Gieves we used them. They also used a very good alts tailor called Eli, maybe go in and ask Helene or Michael who they use. Tell them I sent you.

Thanks David, I'm just an hour's drive from Leeds, so that is a great option!

litho

Reaction score
NEVER live in the north. move south as soon as you can

TheDarkKnight

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by litho
NEVER live in the north. move south as soon as you can

Hehe, well Leeds is the 2nd financial centre after London, and people are much more polite
wink.gif

Anthony Jordan

Reaction score
Might be a bit late, but you could also try Isaac Walton in Newcastle - though I have only ever had work done by them on on suits which they have made, they did a good job. I'd also happily recommend them for made-to-measure should you wish to go down that route.

I believe that C.E. Seymour in Bootham, York, have a good reputation locally (some Durham academics use them) and there is a good tailor who a friend of mine uses in Gateshead - he does anything from college servants' uniforms to boating blazers. Please PM me if you'd like me to get his details.

Anthony.

TheDarkKnight

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Anthony Jordan
Might be a bit late, but you could also try Isaac Walton in Newcastle - though I have only ever had work done by them on on suits which they have made, they did a good job. I'd also happily recommend them for made-to-measure should you wish to go down that route.

I believe that C.E. Seymour in Bootham, York, have a good reputation locally (some Durham academics use them) and there is a good tailor who a friend of mine uses in Gateshead - he does anything from college servants' uniforms to boating blazers. Please PM me if you'd like me to get his details.

Anthony.

Thanks Anthony, I have pm'd you

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads