• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

tailoring raw and selvedge denim

Ajde

Reaction score
i just got some unbranded raw denims, theyre selvedge
the inseam is like 36". I got size 34 and have naturally skinny legs

so the problem i am having is: it fits great around the waist but they are a bit baggy and roomie all the way down despite being skinny cut. Im also getting stacking at the bottom, more then i would live

is it possible to get them tailored being raw denim and all. can it ruin the jeans somehow
also if i get the inseam hemmed shorter would that resolve the problem or would it still be baggy

Ajde

Reaction score
cause this forum seems to have so many users, so many threads, so many posts, yet no one answers any damn questions

NAMOR

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
from what you are saying, it sounds like a 32/33W would fit you better. waist on raw denim usually stretches out disproportionally more than the rest of the jean

Ajde

Reaction score
dumbass, your question was answered.

dumbass it was answered by 1 person, and the answer to my 50 questions was yes

why dont you write a wall of text full of questions and ill answer with something as confusing as 'yep that one'

i wanted numerous input, and making my own thread is the way to do that

Ajde

Reaction score
this forum sucks, never any answers,
never any good advice

what pain does it cause to you guys if i posted it in a thread seen by a specific low population of the board and then in a place where more people would see it. did it really affect your lives?

im trying to find numerous answers
and btw still havent!!!

so far 2 of the comments were made by butthurt people
and the other one was a different size recommendation. i appreciated reading it but it was not what i asked, so hasnt answered my question and ive already said that its tight on the waist at 34 making anything smaller not valid

cyc wid it

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
People will respond the way they are because they feel you're 1) asking a redundant question multiple times and 2) not listening to what you've been told.

You can tailor jeans, but generally it ***** up the cut of the jeans and doesn't turn out the way people imagined. Otherwise, lose weight and buy a smaller size / exercise and stick with your size.

Last edited:

Ajde

Reaction score
have you tried googling. wtf dude why are you entitled to answers.

are you joking?
why am i not entitled?

we are here cos we share the same interest and trying to help one another out

Rincon

Reaction score
My experience is that it can be done but you need to be very specific with your tailor.

If the top block is too wide, too tapered in the legs can look very foolish.

polarcreamsoda

Reaction score
for a pair of jeans you paid about 80 bucks for, it might cost somewhere close to like 50+ dollars to hem it and possibly slim the leg. not worth it in my opinion. sell it and get new jeans.

phazeonon

Reaction score
the answer to your question: yes, it can be tailored - heck, you can basically tailor every aspect of any garment/clothing, provided that you get a good tailor to do your work.

but the problem is the cost: if you shelled out 100 bucks for a raw denim, then alterting taper/hem, etc will cost you big bucks, which in many case, would cost you more than the actual pair of the jean.

I have a close tailor that does work for me - I buy 28 waist slim jean/pants which typically have long inseam and baggier than I normally prefer. I tailor it to my taste, which include cutting off the inseam, and altering the thigh narrower, etc, which often costs me 40-50 bucks a pair. I personally do it because I believe that no one pants fits you perfectly off the rack.

so your choice is to: either find a good tailor and prepare to spend some money, OR like many other have said before me, just throw it out and find yourself a new pair that fits decently overall off the rack.

hope it helps

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads