• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

    Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

    Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Tailoring question - aligning pinstripes on pockets

fatherseanfan

Senior Member
Joined
Apr 15, 2006
Messages
439
Reaction score
0
Can a tailor fix pockets on a pinstripe suit which don't perfectly align with the stripes on the body of the jacket?
 

Lucky Strike

Distinguished Member
Joined
Mar 13, 2006
Messages
3,459
Reaction score
27
Not without getting hold of some extra cloth somewhere, I would think. If there's some cloth left after finishing the trousers, I suppose the cut-offs could be used to make new flaps. (I assume this is a RTW suit where the trousers need finishing. Non-aligned stripes shouldn't happen in MTM or bespoke.)
 

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Joined
Mar 16, 2006
Messages
6,509
Reaction score
1,847
The stripe on the flap should align with the stripes below the pocket on the body of the jacket but will not always align with the stripes above the pocket because of the dart.
 

GBR

Distinguished Member
Joined
Mar 15, 2006
Messages
8,547
Reaction score
717
Originally Posted by fatherseanfan
Can a tailor fix pockets on a pinstripe suit which don't perfectly align with the stripes on the body of the jacket?


Not really - if the thing is cut wrong then wrong it will always be. There certainly would not be enough material in the flap to move it.
 

sho'nuff

grrrrrrrr!!
Joined
Apr 15, 2006
Messages
22,224
Reaction score
24
Originally Posted by Despos
The stripe on the flap should align with the stripes below the pocket on the body of the jacket but will not always align with the stripes above the pocket because of the dart.

i know im reviving this, but rather than make a new thread...



how about my coat i got here...



the bottom of the jacket aligns with the flap but not with the body above it.

the ticket flap though is totally misaligned. can this be an exception or is this an anomaly?
 

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Joined
Mar 16, 2006
Messages
6,509
Reaction score
1,847
See how the spacing of the front dart is uneven to the stripe width in the cloth? That is what throws the pattern match off. If the dart was cut so the stripe spacing was uniform, then the stripe would match. Not worth the effort or cost to change now, even if it was possible.
 

sho'nuff

grrrrrrrr!!
Joined
Apr 15, 2006
Messages
22,224
Reaction score
24
Originally Posted by Despos
See how the spacing of the front dart is uneven to the stripe width in the cloth? That is what throws the pattern match off. If the dart was cut so the stripe spacing was uniform, then the stripe would match. Not worth the effort or cost to change now, even if it was possible.

Despos, i see that, but in your professional opinion, is this acceptable (are darts that dont come closed all the way to continue parallel spacing a style consideration or flaw)? is the visual continuity of pinstriping supposed to be strict or can it have some looseness/flexibility and still maintain its formality and properness?
thanks
 

Featured Sponsor

What's your favorite pair of shoes to wear with jeans? (Choose two)

  • Boots (Chelsea, Chukkas, Balmorals, etc.)

  • Loafers

  • Work boots (Red Wing, Wolverine, etc.)

  • Monk strap shoes

  • Oxford / Derby shoes

  • Sneakers


Results are only viewable after voting.

Related Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
425,974
Messages
9,160,846
Members
192,421
Latest member
NEGIARABANI

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Top