1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Tailoring prices...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by feynmix, Sep 25, 2007.

1. feynmix

feynmix Senior member

I am a bit curious as to what you guys pay for tailoring your shirts. I am getting 3 shirts tailored right now, and the tailor is charging me $7/shirt to bring the side in, and $15 to shorten the sleeve a couple of inches. Does this sound like a reasonable price?

What do you pay for tailoring your shirts?

2. EdenResident

EdenResident Senior member

I think that's a reasonable price. Shortening the sleeves is a major PITA. My tailor charges $12 for that.

However, I always send my stuff back to my home country for tailoring. The quality is top notch and the rate is dirt cheap (like $2 for hemming jeans with original hems).

3. TCN

TCN Senior member

I think $10 to $15 is the standard range for sleeve lengthening or shortening.

I once paid $20 (each) to a "seamstress" to lengthen some T&A's. She accepted the job readily, didn't finish in time, then bitched about how difficult the work was, and didn't put the pleats back in to the sleeve (also, there was some random dark thread trapped between the cuffs). Rather than take them back to her, I paid a tailor another $10 to fix them. So those were $30 now that I think of it.

Metropolitan Tailoring in Birmingham, Michigan . . . avoid it like the plague if you're from the area.

4. rnoldh

rnoldh Senior member

I think $10 to $15 is the standard range for sleeve lengthening or shortening.

I once paid $20 (each) to a "seamstress" to lengthen some T&A's. She accepted the job readily, didn't finish in time, then bitched about how difficult the work was, and didn't put the pleats back in to the sleeve (also, there was some random dark thread trapped between the cuffs). Rather than take them back to her, I paid a tailor another $10 to fix them. So those were $30 now that I think of it.

Metropolitan Tailoring in Birmingham, Michigan . . . avoid it like the plague if you're from the area.

No wonder, how do you lengthen sleeves?

$10-15 is fair and about right for Houston, Tx.

I've had many sleeves shortened, but never heard of a lengthening.

5. TCN

TCN Senior member

No wonder, how do you lengthen sleeves?

$10-15 is fair and about right for Houston, Tx.

I've had many sleeves shortened, but never heard of a lengthening.

T&A always leaves about 3/4 of an inch of fabric in the cuff for lengthening purposes. I was a 15.5-35, which meant their stock RTW 15.5 shirts were a bit on the short side.