• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ajames

Reaction score
I have a pretty short inseam(around 27”), and so I have to get most of my pants cut. My calves are pretty average at 14” but my ankles are very skinny- 8.5”. My foot can go through an 11.5” hole at least.

My problem is the leg opening is always too big. I don’t know how long to cut the pants and how big to make the leg opening.

Would you suggest having a zipper put at the leg opening? Or having a **** made? I need help on how to taper.

maxalex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Trouser leg width is not based on ankle size; they are not meant to fit *************. It’s entirely a matter of personal style preference and, if you insist, fashion trends. (Super skinny trousers have been the rage but baggier legs seem to be coming back.)

If you like narrow, tapered trouser legs (and 11.5 inches around at the cuff is plenty narrow), then buy such trousers or get existing trousers altered; tapering is easy.

Under no circumstances should you consider cuffs so narrow as to require zippers, unless you are impersonating Brigitte Bardot in a drag show.

Ajames

Reaction score
I just feel like getting tapered pants would make me seem taller.
Loose leg openings tend to flare out and make me look like a stick.

maxalex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So wear tapered trousers. Not hard to find, or alter.

maxalex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They should barely break in front.

Alpha11

Reaction score
I would add that if you have a rather large size foot, it would be best to make sure the taper is not too extreme so to make the look seem out of balance. I have seen this way too many times from younger gentleman as to where the taper is tight and their feet are so much bigger that it make them look like the Walt Disney character Goofy.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads