• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Ajames

Reaction score
I have a pretty short inseam(around 27”), and so I have to get most of my pants cut. My calves are pretty average at 14” but my ankles are very skinny- 8.5”. My foot can go through an 11.5” hole at least.

My problem is the leg opening is always too big. I don’t know how long to cut the pants and how big to make the leg opening.

Would you suggest having a zipper put at the leg opening? Or having a slit made? I need help on how to taper.

maxalex

Reaction score
Trouser leg width is not based on ankle size; they are not meant to fit like a condom. It’s entirely a matter of personal style preference and, if you insist, fashion trends. (Super skinny trousers have been the rage but baggier legs seem to be coming back.)

If you like narrow, tapered trouser legs (and 11.5 inches around at the cuff is plenty narrow), then buy such trousers or get existing trousers altered; tapering is easy.

Under no circumstances should you consider cuffs so narrow as to require zippers, unless you are impersonating Brigitte Bardot in a drag show.

Ajames

Reaction score
I just feel like getting tapered pants would make me seem taller.
Loose leg openings tend to flare out and make me look like a stick.

maxalex

Reaction score
So wear tapered trousers. Not hard to find, or alter.

Alpha11

Reaction score
I would add that if you have a rather large size foot, it would be best to make sure the taper is not too extreme so to make the look seem out of balance. I have seen this way too many times from younger gentleman as to where the taper is tight and their feet are so much bigger that it make them look like the Walt Disney character Goofy.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How did Covid-19 impact your personal style?

• My style hasn't changed at all.

• My wardrobe hasn't changed but I am wearing casual clothes more often.

• I invested in new good quality leisure and casual clothes.

• I invested in new sartorial clothes taking advantage of the sales.

• I purged my closet during quarantine and I have nothing left to wear.

Results are only viewable after voting.