• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

scrollphaser

Reaction score
I could use some help and it looks like a lot of people here know what they are doing.
I tried on a pair of slim fitting flat-front dress pants by Hugo Boss today.
The opening at the bottom is 9" and seems to work good. My shoe is 10.5 B width.
I originally tried on 33" but the tailor wanted to take in the waist and seat about a 1/2".
I then tried 32", which seemed to fit better in the seat, but the waist was uncomfortably snug.
He said he could let-out the 32" about a 1/2" in the waist only and not have to alter the seat.
The 32" felt alright unbottoned and an extra 1/2" would probably do the trick.
Which way is the norm? Is it ok to "let out" pants? Are there any side effects of doing so? Should I maybe just try finding a different pair of pants?

Jared

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Letting them out is the right thing to do. For slim pants, buy what fits your thighs and have the waist altered.

trailer36

Reaction score
I agree 100%. You will be much happier with the fit if you let them out. I have made the mistake of buying suits with pants that are a 36 when I am a 34 waist. After they were taken in, they were much too baggy for my taste.

Roger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'd recommend taking-in, rather than letting-out. Particularly with any fabric other than, perhaps, wool. Letting out a pair of cotton or linen trousers will leave a line where they were originally stitched that will always be visible--even with subsequent ironing--and with a smooth worsted wool, you could have the same problem. There's no reason in the world that a pair of 33W pants couldn't be taken in to a 32.5W without the slightest problems in fit elsewhere. Any decent tailor can slim the whole waist-to thigh structure, and could, if necessary, slim-down the whole leg. A half-inch reduction would be trivially simple. I've had larger reductions work well on occasion. I've had, for example, 36W trousers taken in to 34W, with a complete rework of the hips, butt, and thighs, so that there is absolutely no bagginess. There are limits, of course, to how much a pair of trousers can be taken in before issues of balance and cut arise. The consensus seems to be that this limit is about 2 units of size (e.g., 34 to 32).

gumercindo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well, another useful trick is if your cotton trousers are a bit on the snug side and you don't want the tailor to let it out b/c of the visible stitching issue, you can always just have them move the clasp/button over a fraction of a cm. That avoids them having to let anything out.

Philosoph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Member a tailor consistently recommends that you not worry about the waist. Buy the pants that fit you in the seat and thighs, and then alter the waist in/out appropriately.

Justin Wright

Reaction score
I've never had pants let out; but all the pants I've had taken in have all been disasters for the reasons heretofore written. I'm considering a similar question with off the rack suits. I am a 38R coat and a 33R pant. Problem is: most 38R suits come with a 32R pant. I have in the past purchased a 39R suit in order to get proper fitting pants, and then have the jacket slightly taken in. On the other hand, should I be buying a 38R suit and then have the pants let out?

In other words, what's preferred:

1. Buying a 38R suit with a jacket that fits properly off the rack, and then altering the pants; or,

2. Buying a 39R suit with pants that fit properly off the rack, and then altering the jacket?

I think this is a good discussion. While most are too concerned with suit manufacturers, canvassing, etc.; I happen to believe that fit should be the top criteria. In other words, you can wear the most highly regarded suit in the world; but if it doesn't fit properly, it's worthless.

Luc-Emmanuel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Justin Wright
1. Buying a 38R suit with a jacket that fits properly off the rack, and then altering the pants; or,

Do this. Altering the waist (letting out) on a pair of pants is easier and less costly than trying to alter a jacket which doesn't fit.
I have sent pants to be altered, I got the waist and the seat taken in, the result was perfect. But I usually buy my right size which doesn't require waist alteration unless I happened to eat too much the previous month
blush.gif

!luc

noVA99

Reaction score
I would agree with it's best to let out.....I had tried on a Canali suit that was one size bigger than what I usually wear in Canali. The suit pants were baggy in the seat and thigh, with a little bit of waist that would had to be taken in. It would had to been hacked down in all areas for it to fit properly. I'm sure if I tried on one size smaller than my normal size, the pants in the seat and thigh would be fine, just the waist would have to be let out.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've never had pants let out; but all the pants I've had taken in have all been disasters for the reasons heretofore written. I'm considering a similar question with off the rack suits. I am a 38R coat and a 33R pant. Problem is: most 38R suits come with a 32R pant. I have in the past purchased a 39R suit in order to get proper fitting pants, and then have the jacket slightly taken in. On the other hand, should I be buying a 38R suit and then have the pants let out?

In other words, what's preferred:

2. Buying a 39R suit with pants that fit properly off the rack, and then altering the jacket?

I think this is a good discussion. While most are too concerned with suit manufacturers, canvassing, etc.; I happen to believe that fit should be the top criteria. In other words, you can wear the most highly regarded suit in the world; but if it doesn't fit properly, it's worthless.

Clearly 1 is the better option

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by breakfasteatre
Question, what kind of costs would i be looking at for:

letting out a pair of slacks
tapering
hemming and cuffing

I couldnt find anything in the search on the cost to do these and this post just happened to show up as i was about to make a new one

Varies wildly between cities and tailors. My tailor would charge $25, $30 and $20, respectively

Tomasso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
While most are too concerned with suit manufacturers, canvassing, etc.; I happen to believe that fit should be the top criteria. In other words, you can wear the most highly regarded suit in the world; but if it doesn't fit properly, it's worthless.
Can I quote you on that?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 83 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 85 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.1%

Forum statistics

Threads