1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Tailoring Pants - Taking in vs. Letting Out

Discussion in 'Menswear Advice' started by scrollphaser, Feb 28, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. millionaire75

millionaire75 Senior member

1 sounds right to me. It seems a lot better to alter a waist than thighs

THANKS!!!!

2. Stringer1

Stringer1 Member

Letting them out is the right thing to do. For slim pants, buy what fits your thighs and have the waist altered.

I never heard this thinking, but it makes perfect sense. I have some pants that look very sloppy, mostly because they are baggy in the thigh area.

3. TonyThe Tailor

TonyThe Tailor Senior member

Member a tailor consistently recommends that you not worry about the waist. Buy the pants that fit you in the seat and thighs, and then alter the waist in/out appropriately.

+1000

4. a tailor

a tailor Senior member Dubiously Honored

Is there a way of having the waist on pants increased? I have a bunch of pants I bought up 'cause I like them a lot and the style had been discontinued. But the waist is a tad tight. I like the fit of the legs and seat so no need for altering there.

YES DO IT !

5. Wes Bourne

Wes Bourne Senior member

6. Mr.K

Mr.K Senior member

I try to get as good a fit in the legs and then adjust the waist in usually to make them just right. I find my tailor does a great job of taking in the waist and also slimming the legs from top to bottom as I like them if needed.

7. Abstraktmind

Abstraktmind Senior member

Resurrecting again! I bought a suit off of B&SF and the suit jacket fits like a dream, but the pants are a 35 waist, and I'm a 32...could this be tailor down to fit me? bringing in the waist, tailoring the bagginess of the legs and the seat? I like the suit so much I'd even drop 100.

8. Abstraktmind

Abstraktmind Senior member

bump! I really need advice here.

9. bleachboy

bleachboy Senior member

Pants are really easy to alter. Just find a good tailor. I just go in to mine and try the stuff on and she starts saying "We're going to take in the seat and some here at the hip, blah blah blah".

10. Newcomer

Newcomer Senior member

With all this said, is there any way to let out the thighs at all? It is not a huge deal, but I could use another half an inch or so for the sake of comfort.

11. a tailor

Resurrecting again! I bought a suit off of B&SF and the suit jacket fits like a dream, but the pants are a 35 waist, and I'm a 32...could this be tailor down to fit me? bringing in the waist, tailoring the bagginess of the legs and the seat? I like the suit so much I'd even drop 100.

three inches is quite a bit. how much does the seat need to come in? it might be too much.
    for more info go to ask andy search. ask for "trouser alterations" scroll down to that title.
    its pretty far down there dated 7-4-06.

12. a tailor

With all this said, is there any way to let out the thighs at all? It is not a huge deal, but I could use another half an inch or so for the sake of comfort.

better trousers often have a little to let out there. some as much one inch.
    cheap wools and cotton pants have nothing.

13. Newcomer

Newcomer Senior member

Great--they are better trousers I believe--would you mind commenting on the difficulty of such an alteration?

14. a tailor

Great--they are better trousers I believe--would you mind commenting on the difficulty of such an alteration?

not very difficult. if you what you are doing. that means about 20 or 25 bucks.

15. phxguy

phxguy Member

Slightly different question, but same concept, I think.

I bought an Aboud three button suit a couple years that (a) was too big in the waist and (b) is cut baggy to boot. I had the waist taken in and have worn it a few times, but now I can't stand wearing it because the pants are just unfashionably baggy. So the question is, is it worth trying to save the suit by having the pants basically reconstructed, or is that likely to yield unsatisfactory results, particularly when the jacket, though it fits pretty well, is a generous cut too. And bear in mind, I live in Phoenix and have not found a decent tailor.

Thanks in advance.

16. phxlawstudent

phxlawstudent Senior member

Fakeri can essentially remake the suit and pants. Your not going to like the cost though... J. Abboud... No, I wouldn't bother with it.

17. bbhues

bbhues Well-Known Member

Just bought a suit, absolutely love the fabric and the fit of the jacket, but the pants are a solid inch too small. Problem is they have already been let out with the excess fabric. Is there anything else that can be done?

18. boof52

boof52 New Member

Learn how to sew and do your own tailoring. Practice on a cheap pair of trousers from the local op shop the first couple of times and purchase a good book on the subject eg Reader's Digest Book of Sewing. You'll enjoy tailoring your own trousers, jeans etc as it's not that difficult. I began six years ago because I needed to hem a pair of pants and it's led to me not only tailoring my clothes but producing bushwalking gear such as sleeping bags, tents, packs, rainwear, gaiters etc and learning how to repair sewing machines; none of which is difficult on the old 1959 Necchi sewing machine my mother purchased at a garage sale for $A8.00. Give it a go!

19. VinnyMac

VinnyMac Senior member

If everything except for the waist feels fine, then it's better than buying a pair that's probably too big in the waist, seat and other areas that you haven't accounted for.

20. superseiyan

superseiyan Active Member

Related to this, for those with an athletic build (think baseball player, or running back) how do you handle your alterations?

I'm a weird fit as 39R jackets are perfect, but then I need 34" pants at the waist BUT 34-35 pants are often tight at the but and a little snug on the thighs. I can live with the thighs, but the tightness of the seat means I'm always ripping pants.

Can men's dress pants and suit pants be let out at the seat with minimal (1" or less) interference to the waist? When buying slim, should I go with true waist/tight thighs-butt or true thighs/butt but large waist? 36" waist will need at least a 1.5 taking in probably.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.