• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

• Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 4: Goodyear welted shoes from Cobbler Union

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 4th auction is for a pair of Goodyear welted Shoes from Cobbler Union. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Tailoring Pants Question (I checked search!)

KaiserSose

Reaction score
I know you guys hate these type of threads because there is an abundance of information in older ones, but looking through search I couldn't find a thread I read previously that discussed what you should tell your tailor to do.

I'm real new to this "style game" and after reading this forum hours on end, I was able to buy a few dress pants which are slim fitting and a good look for me.. The only problem is I have midget legs (well not midget, but I'm like 5"10 and my legs are 29.5) and need to get everything tailored. I don't want to go my standard route and give them to the half-assed tailor connected to my building. This time I'm going to a nice italian tailor and I want to be able to tell him how they should look. This is where I need your guy's help.

The advice in the previous thread discussed how they should be cut (I think there was a mention of angle at the bottom) & break. Also should I tell him to cut khaki's differently than dress pants?

Any advice you give would be greatly appreciated. I have put a lot of effort into buying nicer clothes lately and I would love to look well put together for once.

Steven Aver

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by KaiserSose
I know you guys hate these type of threads because there is an abundance of information in older ones, but looking through search I couldn't find a thread I read previously that discussed what you should tell your tailor to do.

I'm real new to this "style game" and after reading this forum hours on end, I was able to buy a few dress pants which are slim fitting and a good look for me.. The only problem is I have midget legs (well not midget, but I'm like 5"10 and my legs are 29.5) and need to get everything tailored. I don't want to go my standard route and give them to the half-assed tailor connected to my building. This time I'm going to a nice italian tailor and I want to be able to tell him how they should look. This is where I need your guy's help.

The advice in the previous thread discussed how they should be cut (I think there was a mention of angle at the bottom) & break. Also should I tell him to cut khaki's differently than dress pants?

Any advice you give would be greatly appreciated. I have put a lot of effort into buying nicer clothes lately and I would love to look well put together for once.

Im about 5"10 and I like my narrow leg opening trousers at 29.5in.
. Thats normal. YOu should always have your trousers hemmed regardless. Going even further I usually have the entire pant altered for the right fit on OTR stuff including seat, thigh and leg opening.

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Finding a good tailor is about his ability to advise you on these matters as much as his tailoring skills. Give him a ball park idea of what you want to achieve and then let him tell you how to get there.

KaiserSose

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Steven Aver
Im about 5"10 and I like my narrow leg opening trousers at 29.5in.
. Thats normal. YOu should always have your trousers hemmed regardless. Going even further I usually have the entire pant altered for the right fit on OTR stuff including seat, thigh and leg opening.

That seems like a lot for me to do considering I don't even know what to do for break / angle / length. I think maybe I'll get the basic's done, post a pic here, see what you all have to say and make changes from there.
Finding a good tailor is about his ability to advise you on these matters as much as his tailoring skills. Give him a ball park idea of what you want to achieve and then let him tell you how to get there.
I agree, but my main problem is I can't really verbalize what I want to achieve. I see pictures of you guys and your pants look great. So I guess this post is as much how pants should look / fit as it is about tailoring.

mensimageconsultant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Print out pictures of pants tailored the way you like them and show them to a tailor. It won't cause much embarrassment.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How many pairs of shoes do you own?

• 1 - 4

Votes: 25 3.3%
  • 5 - 10

Votes: 129 17.2%
  • 11 - 20

Votes: 241 32.1%
  • 21 - 30

Votes: 118 15.7%
  • 31 - 40