• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Tailoring Overcoat

Bongo

Reaction score
I recently purchased a camel hair overcoat. I typically have to take in the waist and shorten suit jackets and sport coats, so my guess is I'll need to bring in the waist on the overcoat. Is it practical to tailor an overcoat, and if so, what should I focus on for the silouette?

whoopee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes, it can be done. An overcoat with a waist is rather a rarity and quite smart.

montecristo#4

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I just had one tailored a couple months ago. It looks about a million times better than it did. I highly recommend it. Not only that, it isn't that expensive, since you are typically just taking it in at the back.

whoopee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Chesterfields are meant to have shape through the body. Unlike more casual coats like the duffel.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Resist the temptation to get a severe waist put in your coat, for it will limit your movement somewhat. A reasonable waist is perfectly fine.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DocHolliday
But how much? This is my first Chesterfield, and I'm not quite sure what to do with it. Any guidance would be appreciated.
As much as you can do and still fit it over the bulkiest clothing you would normally wear under it, and then add an inch or so for movement. If this creates an extreme wasp waist, add a little more.

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by j
As much as you can do and still fit it over the bulkiest clothing you would normally wear under it, and then add an inch or so for movement. If this creates an extreme wasp waist, add a little more.

Thanks, J. I'm sure it will look much better once I've had it taken in. I'm not sure why I've been so hesitant to have it done. Just one of those things I've meant to look into, yet never have, I guess.

style from the heartland

Reaction score
For anyone that has brought in overcoat/ including waist - could you kindly give the tailor's price ? I am trying to figure if I should see one of better tailors in town and would like to know what to expect. Thanks.

unjung

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
$60 CAD to bring the waist in on this one:
DSCF3078.jpg
DSCF3076.jpg

style from the heartland

Reaction score
A great investment indeed! Below is similar topcoat to mine (pic borrowed from B& S forum) with similar detail.

If there is a single seam, dead middle of the back of coat: truly as simple as bringing in the waist of pants -- fold in and stitch inside the garment ?

Does the tailor trim fabric to keep from having a bulging wad of fabric ? (I'm a true newb at the tailoring game, and my Vietnamese tailor and I sometimes have adventures in communication!)

Digby

Reaction score
Another question: My overcoat is waaaay too long. Ankle length to be exact. I, too, have been toying with the idea of getting it tailored, but have hesitated. Can it be shortened and if so, what's the suggested amount. It's a beautiful cashmere winter overcoat. My camera broke this summer so no pics yet, but I'm working on it.

thanks,

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads