1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Tailoring Overcoat

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Bongo, Mar 19, 2006.

1. JayJay

JayJay Senior member

I just had a Topcoat taken in 2 weeks ago, Now it looks so much better than before. I paid $50.
    I had a cashmere topcoat taken in a couple of years ago. IIRC, I also paid $50.00. The tailor did a nice job with it. I recently purchased a chesterfield and opted not to have the waist taken in, but I'm now questioning my decision.

2. GQhustler

GQhustler Senior member

Here are some pics of then end results. Unfortunately, I don't have before pics showing the length prior to alteration. Just imagine it being about 8-10 inches above my feet. I am also well aware that my shirt is terribly wrinkled and that the pants are far too long, so save the comments. I put on the first pants/shirt combo I grabbed that would contrast my dark navy jacket. Anyway, I am very happy with the results. Last year when I bought the jacket, I had the waist taken in. The last thing I am considering doing is possibly having the sleeves shortened a little. Thoughts? [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

3. the.chikor

the.chikor Senior member

I have a Chesterfied that I've toyed with having taken in at the waist. I think it would look smart, but I wonder if I wouldn't regret it.

I don't think so. I have had it done at the recommendation of my tailor-it came out nice.

4. Digby

Digby Well-Known Member

Here are some pics of then end results. Unfortunately, I don't have before pics showing the length prior to alteration. Just imagine it being about 8-10 inches above my feet. I am also well aware that my shirt is terribly wrinkled and that the pants are far too long, so save the comments. I put on the first pants/shirt combo I grabbed that would contrast my dark navy jacket.

Anyway, I am very happy with the results. Last year when I bought the jacket, I had the waist taken in. The last thing I am considering doing is possibly having the sleeves shortened a little. Thoughts?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

GQ: looks great. i'm definitely going to look into having it done. i'm living in Guatemala at the moment so finding the right tailor could be a challenge[​IMG]

5. ZON_JR

ZON_JR Senior member

I think the sleeves are fine but the coat is way too short for my taste in overcoats.

6. Alex110

Alex110 New Member

Hi,

Since this is an active thread.. thought I'd post this question here rather than start a new thread.

I'm 5'11" with a slim build.. should I get a full length 38R, 38S, or a three-quarter length? Thanks. I plan on getting it tailored to fit, but I'd like something that doesn't end up dragging on the ground or look goofy.

I think 38R is good. Don't go for the 38S.

7. Wrigglez

Wrigglez Senior member

cost $95 to have the back taken in on my pea coat. the tailor would not suppress the waist too much as it was to go over a sportscoat or jacket

8. Chips

Chips Senior member

The sleeves are ok, but the length appears to be too short IMO.