Tailoring Overcoat

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Bongo, Mar 19, 2006.

1. Bongo

Bongo Member

I recently purchased a camel hair overcoat. I typically have to take in the waist and shorten suit jackets and sport coats, so my guess is I'll need to bring in the waist on the overcoat. Is it practical to tailor an overcoat, and if so, what should I focus on for the silouette?

2. whoopee

whoopee Senior member

Yes, it can be done. An overcoat with a waist is rather a rarity and quite smart.

3. montecristo#4

montecristo#4 Senior member

I just had one tailored a couple months ago. It looks about a million times better than it did. I highly recommend it. Not only that, it isn't that expensive, since you are typically just taking it in at the back.

4. DocHolliday

DocHolliday Senior member Dubiously Honored

I have a Chesterfied that I've toyed with having taken in at the waist. I think it would look smart, but I wonder if I wouldn't regret it.

5. whoopee

whoopee Senior member

Chesterfields are meant to have shape through the body. Unlike more casual coats like the duffel.

6. j

j (stands for Jerk) Admin

Resist the temptation to get a severe waist put in your coat, for it will limit your movement somewhat. A reasonable waist is perfectly fine.

7. DocHolliday

Chesterfields are meant to have shape through the body. Unlike more casual coats like the duffel.

But how much? This is my first Chesterfield, and I'm not quite sure what to do with it. Any guidance would be appreciated.

8. j

j (stands for Jerk) Admin

But how much? This is my first Chesterfield, and I'm not quite sure what to do with it. Any guidance would be appreciated.
    As much as you can do and still fit it over the bulkiest clothing you would normally wear under it, and then add an inch or so for movement. If this creates an extreme wasp waist, add a little more.

9. DocHolliday

As much as you can do and still fit it over the bulkiest clothing you would normally wear under it, and then add an inch or so for movement. If this creates an extreme wasp waist, add a little more.

Thanks, J. I'm sure it will look much better once I've had it taken in. I'm not sure why I've been so hesitant to have it done. Just one of those things I've meant to look into, yet never have, I guess.

10. style from the heartland

style from the heartland Senior member

For anyone that has brought in overcoat/ including waist - could you kindly give the tailor's price ? I am trying to figure if I should see one of better tailors in town and would like to know what to expect. Thanks.

11. unjung

unjung Senior member

$60 CAD to bring the waist in on this one: [​IMG][​IMG]

12. oshinex

oshinex Senior member

I just had a Topcoat taken in 2 weeks ago, Now it looks so much better than before. I paid $50.

13. style from the heartland

style from the heartland Senior member

A great investment indeed! Below is similar topcoat to mine (pic borrowed from B& S forum) with similar detail.

If there is a single seam, dead middle of the back of coat: truly as simple as bringing in the waist of pants -- fold in and stitch inside the garment ?

Does the tailor trim fabric to keep from having a bulging wad of fabric ? (I'm a true newb at the tailoring game, and my Vietnamese tailor and I sometimes have adventures in communication!)
    [​IMG]

14. GQhustler

GQhustler Senior member

$60 CAD to bring the waist in on this one:

[​IMG][​IMG]

Nice coat. Where could I find one like yours?

15. Digby

Digby Well-Known Member

Another question: My overcoat is waaaay too long. Ankle length to be exact. I, too, have been toying with the idea of getting it tailored, but have hesitated. Can it be shortened and if so, what's the suggested amount. It's a beautiful cashmere winter overcoat. My camera broke this summer so no pics yet, but I'm working on it.

thanks,