• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

  • Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 4: Goodyear welted shoes from Cobbler Union

    We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

    The 4th auction is for a pair of Goodyear welted Shoes from Cobbler Union. Please bid often and generously here

    Fok and the Styleforum Team.

  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

    Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

    Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

tailoring mistake

jyang

Member
Joined
Sep 9, 2008
Messages
18
Reaction score
0
So what's the general policy in tailoring regards to tailoring disasters ???

I just took four e.zegna shirts to a local tailor to get it recut and sleevs shortened (they did the measuring) and they made it way way way too tight on the chest. Now it's almost not wearable...actually.. I probably wont' wear it as it looks ridiculous.

So what's the general policy for this? they already told me I don't have to pay for the tailoring job but i now have four shirts that are way too tight . . .

Is it understood thatI took that risk when I left my shirts at the tailor? Is it fair for me to ask for compensation?
 

litho

Senior Member
Joined
Oct 19, 2008
Messages
199
Reaction score
0
they should have their own policy

zegna shirts are very expensive, so i would not be happy at all and demand some sort of compensation
 

Golf_Nerd

Distinguished Member
Joined
Jul 30, 2007
Messages
1,200
Reaction score
1
Originally Posted by jyang
So what's the general policy in tailoring regards to tailoring disasters ???

I just took four e.zegna shirts to a local tailor to get it recut and sleevs shortened (they did the measuring) and they made it way way way too tight on the chest. Now it's almost not wearable...actually.. I probably wont' wear it as it looks ridiculous.

So what's the general policy for this? they already told me I don't have to pay for the tailoring job but i now have four shirts that are way too tight . . .

Is it understood thatI took that risk when I left my shirts at the tailor? Is it fair for me to ask for compensation?


I don't get it. You don't know the tailor and give four shirts to alter at one time?! That is dumb!!!

General policy is: to use one's wits!
 

hamish5178

Senior Member
Joined
Oct 28, 2008
Messages
798
Reaction score
1
Did you give the tailor specific measurements, or did the tailor mark the shirt while you were wearing it?

Either way if the tailor did something totally off what you told him to, I think you should make him pay for the shirts. However I don't understand how that could have happened.
 

teddieriley

Distinguished Member
Joined
Apr 8, 2006
Messages
8,784
Reaction score
470
check to see if there are posted policies or some policy on your receipt regarding such work. If there is no disclaimer of damages, i think you should have a claim that they screwed up your shirts. This is a contract matter, and therefore, you should be made whole. without a disclaimer, there is no "assumption of risk," and you shouldn't accept this. If your shirts are brand new, take them the receipt and ask for compensation.
 

jyang

Member
Joined
Sep 9, 2008
Messages
18
Reaction score
0
Originally Posted by Golf_Nerd
I don't get it. You don't know the tailor and give four shirts to alter at one time?! That is dumb!!!

General policy is: to use one's wits!


i didn't say I didn't know the tailor.

I have had good exp with this tailor when I was getting my MTM suit. I was happy with the result . . .

This time he didn't do as good of a job ..
 

jyang

Member
Joined
Sep 9, 2008
Messages
18
Reaction score
0
Originally Posted by hamish5178
Did you give the tailor specific measurements, or did the tailor mark the shirt while you were wearing it? Either way if the tailor did something totally off what you told him to, I think you should make him pay for the shirts. However I don't understand how that could have happened.
The tailor did the measuring. . .
 

a tailor

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Joined
Jul 22, 2006
Messages
2,855
Reaction score
114
i think he bought your shirts.

you should have started with only one shirt.
 

jyang

Member
Joined
Sep 9, 2008
Messages
18
Reaction score
0
Originally Posted by a tailor
i think he bought your shirts.

you should have started with only one shirt.


Any suggestions on how to approach the tailor about this?
 

NAMOR

Stylish Dinosaur
Joined
Sep 3, 2010
Messages
20,580
Reaction score
3,483
Originally Posted by jyang
Any suggestions on how to approach the tailor about this?
how did you get this resolved? I just got a heap of goodness back from the tailor. all the pants worked out great but he butchered the shirt. I asked him to slim down a BB luxury line shirt and he brought it in way too much, both in the chest and waist. Odd, because in previous occasions, he didnt take the shirts in enough. I am puzzled because he did a great job on each pair of pants I gave him (hem, seat & waist taken in, taper, etc) and he was on point with all of my requests. What I have learned from this is that in addition to having the tailor mark you up, give him a set of measurements from a shirt that fits your perfectly. Hopefully this will prevent any future shirt disasters.
 

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Joined
Dec 3, 2009
Messages
19,844
Reaction score
2,750
Originally Posted by NAMOR
how did you get this resolved?

I just got a heap of goodness back from the tailor. all the pants worked out great but he butchered the shirt. I asked him to slim down a BB luxury line shirt and he brought it in way too much, both in the chest and waist. Odd, because in previous occasions, he didnt take the shirts in enough.

I am puzzled because he did a great job on each pair of pants I gave him (hem, seat & waist taken in, taper, etc) and he was on point with all of my requests.

What I have learned from this is that in addition to having the tailor mark you up, give him a set of measurements from a shirt that fits your perfectly. Hopefully this will prevent any future shirt disasters.


did he mark up the shirt when you had it on or did you just ask/show him what you wanted? if the first-his bad...if the second, your bad.
 

NAMOR

Stylish Dinosaur
Joined
Sep 3, 2010
Messages
20,580
Reaction score
3,483
Originally Posted by ter1413
did he mark up the shirt when you had it on or did you just ask/show him what you wanted? if the first-his bad...if the second, your bad.
I had it on. I expected this shirt to be slightly loose based on where he had placed the pins but instead its too tight from top to bottom. He also raised the arm holes and now the sleeves are too short. The guy has done some great work for me so I dont want to cause any tension. The shirt cant be fixed and I don't want a refund for the work as it was only a $22 alteration. Going forward, I have a suit that needs to be altered; sleeves let out and waist taken in. He has done this alteration on another suit before but now im uneasy after this experience. Ooof
 

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Joined
Dec 3, 2009
Messages
19,844
Reaction score
2,750
Originally Posted by NAMOR
I had it on. I expected this shirt to be slightly loose based on where he had placed the pins but instead its too tight from top to bottom. He also raised the arm holes and now the sleeves are too short. The guy has done some great work for me so I dont want to cause any tension. The shirt cant be fixed and I don't want a refund for the work as it was only a $22 alteration.

Going forward, I have a suit that needs to be altered; sleeves let out and waist taken in. He has done this alteration on another suit before but now im uneasy after this experience. Ooof


take the shirt with you when you take the suit in and show him what he did. be precise with the suit measurements...get what you want and not what he wants. make sure you can move your arms around in the jacket. wear dress shoes when getting the pants measured. maybe he will give you a break on the price as he fukked up the shirt!
 

GBR

Distinguished Member
Joined
Mar 15, 2006
Messages
8,547
Reaction score
717
Originally Posted by jyang
i didn't say I didn't know the tailor.

I have had good exp with this tailor when I was getting my MTM suit. I was happy with the result . . .

This time he didn't do as good of a job ..


Someone who offers MTM altering shirts? Seems as if it might not be his forte - given the results....
 

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How many pairs of shoes do you own?

  • 1 - 4

    Votes: 25 3.3%
  • 5 - 10

    Votes: 131 17.3%
  • 11 - 20

    Votes: 245 32.4%
  • 21 - 30

    Votes: 119 15.7%
  • 31 - 40

    Votes: 68 9.0%
  • 41 - 50

    Votes: 47 6.2%
  • 51 - 60

    Votes: 23 3.0%
  • 61 - 70

    Votes: 21 2.8%
  • 71 - 80

    Votes: 16 2.1%
  • 81 - 90

    Votes: 7 0.9%
  • 91 - 100

    Votes: 7 0.9%
  • 100+

    Votes: 48 6.3%

Related Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
428,698
Messages
9,222,549
Members
193,597
Latest member
Scal
Top