• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Tailoring issue?

Jay Gatsby

Reaction score
Just got this jacket back. The tailor has done a great job with everything I've brought in. I pointed out this issue on the sleeves to her and she said 'it had to be like that. take it to a drycleaner and it may help'. What you see here has no texture; ie. cannot be felt when you run a finger over it. Is there anything that can be done about this? Was this indeed unavoidable?

See image.

Thanks,
J

Ataturk

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
What's the fabric composition?

Jay Gatsby

Reaction score
100% cotton. They've done a few other jackets for me and this hasn't happened....

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
30vixbd.jpg

As a service, I am reposting the larger image of this so that Despos, David Reeves, and Alex D. can easily use this as their new desktop wallpaper.

Gentlemen: you are welcome.

- B

Ataturk

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I took a pocket off a blue OCBD and it looked just like that. After a wash you could never tell it had been there.

You might try wetting it, steaming it, etc. Probably would be easier if she hadn't put the buttons back on first.

Jay Gatsby

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ataturk
I took a pocket off a blue OCBD and it looked just like that. After a wash you could never tell it had been there.

You might try wetting it, steaming it, etc. Probably would be easier if she hadn't put the buttons back on first.

Thanks!

sho'nuff

grrrrrrrr!!
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ataturk

im afraid that won't work on this .

the pocket taken off a shirt is like taking a tag off. the pinhole may still be there but washing will shrink it back out of existence.

these buttonholes were sewn up so the irregularity due to stitching will still be there.

amerikajinda

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
wallpapered!
smile.gif

Jay Gatsby

Reaction score
Pictures of my clothing are copyright (c) Jay Gatsby enterprises.

Scrubbing with water seems to be removing these marks.

bigbris1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by voxsartoria

As a service, I am reposting the larger image of this so that Despos, David Reeves, and Alex D. can easily use this as their new desktop wallpaper.

Gentlemen: you are welcome.

- B

Epic

whatsinaname

Reaction score
I'd work the area with my thumbnail by just pushing the nail across the distorted areas. (Lead with the nail, follow with the fingertip.) Be gentle.

There may be some broken threads in the fabric, but I suspect most of the irregularity is just due to the fabric being pushed out of the way when the needle went through. On a shirt, washing would fix this (I'm assuming you can't wash the jacket.)

-b

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
This is the nature of cotton. The cloth does not mend itself like wool does. Water/heat/steam will help but unlikely to be 100%. Some cottons respond differently than others. Your alteration person did nothing wrong.
If you have let out the waist on cotton trousers you may have noticed the old stitch marks/holes remain on the seat. Same thing here.

Jay Gatsby

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Despos
This is the nature of cotton. The cloth does not mend itself like wool does. Water/heat/steam will help but unlikely to be 100%. Some cottons respond differently than others. Your alteration person did nothing wrong.
If you have let out the waist on cotton trousers you may have noticed the old stitch marks/holes remain on the seat. Same thing here.

Got it. Thanks for the lesson.
J

RJE

Reaction score
Too much shortening to do it all at the shoulder; couldn't they have split it shoulder and cuff (getting expensive)? At least, they should have told you this would result when you tried it on for size, to give you the option of possibly returning/selling the jacket instead.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads