• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Tailoring - help please..

JacobJacob

Reaction score
The problem I always have in, lets say buying shirts, are my height compared to my body´s proportions. I climb (bouldering) a lot - at least 15 hours every week, plus i do a little bit of swimming and weight-lifting.. So I am athletic build.

But what climbing, and specially bouldering, does to your upper body, is pushing the shoulders forward and gives you really big "wings" on the side of your back. Therefore shirts are hard to find - they are either too small and narrow on the back making it nearly impossible to ride a bike or way too big and clumsy.

This leads me to my new problem

i have just bought a new suit thinking it was alright , but after trying it at home I am not satisfied: The problems mentioned above is puzzling me regarding the jacket. I think it is somehow too big on the back, making me - and specially ****** look bigger, than what rally is the case.
I think it somehow is too big and airy on the back, making me - and specially ****** look bigger, than what rally is the case. The length of the jacket´s sleeves are maybe also too long, but they has surgeons cuffs, so this, I think, can not be altered (the sleeves are only like 0.5 cm too long though).

So my question is: have you ever had any of your suits to the tailor and can I take mine to a tailor without being nervous for him f***ing it up.

The Suit by the way are from Andersen & Lauth, which are sewn by the tailors working in the Armani fabric in Turkey (the guy in the Andersen & Lauth store told me this..). Everything is therefore perfect and high standard plus I suppose it is a good thing the suit is hand sewn, if I take it to a tailor myself. - But as said, I really want to hear your opinion and advises on this.

brittain

Reaction score
I usually try out a tailor with small things before letting him to major reworking of a suit. I once had a new guy put in some functional button holes and he slaughtered them. Fortunately, it was salvagable by a much better tailor that was recommended from another member here on SF. Where are you, maybe someone can recommend a local tailor.

If the sleeves really are only .5 cm too long I wouldnt even worry about it.

JacobJacob

Reaction score
But its more how it fits me on the back that is the problem.. As said, its too airy.

Mike89LX

Reaction score
It's pretty much a given an off the rack suit will have to be tailored, so it's not unheard of. Not sure if you can ask around locally to find a good tailor, or if you have some other stuff on cheaper items that needs to be done as was suggested before, sort of a trial run

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads