Tailoring and Expensive Clothing?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Learn-O-Rama, Jul 7, 2011.

1. Learn-O-Rama

Learn-O-Rama Well-Known Member

So I bought a $5,000 Brioni sport jacket (on discount, of course). When I bring it to the tailors, how do I 'insure' that it isn't stolen or 'lost'? Is it just a gamble?

2. anginaprinzmetal

anginaprinzmetal Senior member

you take it to a tailor you can trust...

3. Learn-O-Rama

Learn-O-Rama Well-Known Member

you take it to a tailor you can trust...

I DO have a tailor I can trust, but sh%t happens...so, bottom line, it is a gamble, in the end, I suppose...

4. lenahan

lenahan Senior member

I DO have a tailor I can trust, but sh%t happens...so, bottom line, it is a gamble, in the end, I suppose...

In the end, everything is a gamble. You drop off your jacket, leave the tailor's, and get run over by a drunk driver. Life is as crap shoot. If you want certainty, you are on the wrong planet. Seriously, odds are that your tailor has a vested interest in NOT having your stuff stolen or destroyed, as you would be less likely to return and spend money. If you must, ask for a receipt or something.

5. veneto

veneto Senior member

You keep a receipt for the jacket and a receipt that the tailor received it.

6. Mr Pelican Pants

Mr Pelican Pants Well-Known Member

Bottom line, it's a gamble. Not only could the tailor make a mistake - he could tell some guy it's his jacket, and sell it to the guy right out from under you. You would be entitled to the money from the tailor, but you most likely wouldn't be able to get the jacket back. Jacket gone.

You could add the jacket as a possession to your homeowner's or renter's insurance. But that doesn't help you if you take it to a tailor. Maybe there is suit insurance? Again, that would just give you money if something bad happens. It can't prevent the bad thing from happening.

If you've got a trustworthy, competent tailor, probably nothing bad will happen. At least, nothing bad is any more likely to happen just because the jacket is expensive. But risk is always there.

In conclusion, your question is really about how you manage risk. In order to manage risk we must first understand risk. How do you spot risk, how do you avoid risk, and what makes it so risky?

7. Master-Classter

Master-Classter Senior member

receipt + small claims court ?

8. Patek

Patek Senior member

The tailor I use makes bespoke suits that are quite pricy--certainly more than the Prices I paid for the TF and Kiton suits I bring him.

You seem to have a trust issue which reminds me of an Indian coworker of mine that was afraid to leave his BMW at the dealer for service as they might swipe his BMW parts and replace them with knock-off parts (apparently a common practice in India).

9. forex

forex Senior member

The tailor I use makes bespoke suits that are quite pricy--certainly more than the Prices I paid for the TF and Kiton suits I bring him.

You seem to have a trust issue which reminds me of an Indian coworker of mine that was afraid to leave his BMW at the dealer for service as they might swipe his BMW parts and replace them with knock-off parts (apparently a common practice in India).

[​IMG] [​IMG]

10. Dressed2the9s

Dressed2the9s Senior member

In the end, everything is a gamble. You drop off your jacket, leave the tailor's, and get run over by a drunk driver. Life is as crap shoot. If you want certainty, you are on the wrong planet. Seriously, odds are that your tailor has a vested interest in NOT having your stuff stolen or destroyed, as you would be less likely to return and spend money. If you must, ask for a receipt or something.

+ 1

11. DerekS

DerekS Guyliner

I trust my tailor completely......my cleaners? thats another story. I took a shirt in once and they lost it....tried to give me a Stafford oxford. I told them i had brought in a completely different color, the owner was a dick about it...laughed in my face and called me a liar. I brought receiplts showing proof of how much i paid...it was a large fiascoe that ended with me in the hos[ital with a broken hand, messed up wall, and $2,000 in medical bills...lesson learned...whenever i drop off anything at my new cleaners, I ask that they make a note on the receipt with the make and description of the suit/shirt. Theyve always been happy to do so, and Ive always used them for all my cleaning.

12. Fraiche

Fraiche Senior member

Your tailor is not good enough.

What I mean by good enough is that he should have racks of suits/sport coats that make your new purchase look like peanuts.

With that type of setting, there is little incentive for him to do anything to yours.

It's like valeting a Camry at a restaurant when everyone drives an Aston there.

13. Achilles_

Achilles_ Senior member

laughed in my face and called me a liar. I brought receiplts showing proof of how much i paid...it was a large fiascoe that ended with me in the hos[ital with a broken hand, messed up wall, and $2,000 in medical bills...lesson learned...
    Wait.... what? Care to divulge more details? Edit: On a side note I brought my new Borrelli shirt into a cleaners and told them to lightly starch/iron it, nothing else. They decided to clean and press it. In the process a couple of MOP buttons came off. They decided to not mention this and replace them with super thin plastic buttons. I noticed this before I walked out. I was told that they will have the exact buttons and will replace them by today. (I highly doubt it since no one in town sells Borrelli) We will see....

14. dragon8

dragon8 Senior member

Wait.... what? Care to divulge more details?

Edit: On a side note I brought my new Borrelli shirt into a cleaners and told them to lightly starch/iron it, nothing else. They decided to clean and press it. In the process a couple of MOP buttons came off. They decided to not mention this and replace them with super thin plastic buttons. I noticed this before I walked out. I was told that they will have the exact buttons and will replace them by today. (I highly doubt it since no one in town sells Borrelli) We will see....

All plastic buttons?[​IMG]

15. comrade

comrade Senior member

Do you have personal property insurance?
    That should cover the loss minus a deductible.