Tailoring an off the rack suit

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Bhai, Jan 26, 2005.

1. Bhai

Bhai New Member

I got a great deal on a new navy suit and I am looking to spend the extra bucks to make it fit perfect. After a fitting at the tailor he suggested bringing in the waist and modifying the back to avoiding a skirt look. I took his advice on that.

He also suggested modifying the seat of the pants based on where I would wear the pants. I understand that suit pants fit about the waist and not about the hips. Where I was fitted is somewhere in between. Is this is a normal alteration?

This was first time to the tailor's and I am still kind of new to this. Any advice or comment would be appreciated.

2. johnnynorman3

johnnynorman3 Senior member

? Don't understand your question, really. Are you saying that he's modifying the pants so that they fit in between your hips and waist? Or are you saying that when he was doing the adjustments that's where your pants were sitting?

First, if he's tailoring the bottom or the pants (I assume they were unfinished), then you better have been wearing them EXACTLY where you plan on wearing them in real life. Otherwise, they will be too short/long.

Second, I normally have tailors take in the back seam of suit pants a little bit so that they fit in the seat a bit better. So, if that's what he was doing, then this is a normal alteration. If he's adjusting the rise of the pants, then this is going to be costly and probably won't be done right.

3. Bhai

Bhai New Member

johnnynorman3 Thanks for responding, you answered my question in your post. I didn't want the "Urkel look" in my pants so I asked the tailor to fit the pants to me a little lower. In doing so he suggested he bring in the back seem to make the seat fit better. I just wasn't sure that was a normal alteration.